Who throws away a 1961 Schwinn American?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Last Thursday morning while driving through my alley, heading to work, I saw a blue bike sitting besides our neighbors trash. It was Thursday, trash day, so I quickly put the car back in the garage and ran to the neighbors trash can. To my surprise it was a very, very dirty, but good looking old Schwinn leaning against the trash can. I pulled it from aside the cans and rolled it back home. After a good long bath I discovered the condition wasn't all that bad. It is a 26" Schwinn American with women's frame. I took the serial # and found it's production date of September 15, 1961.

Over the last several days I've rebuilt the bike from ground up cleaning every part I come across. Outside of replacing the tires every part down to the chain are original and fully useable. Hubs have been repacked and wheels are true. I have some Kenda S7 white wall tires coming in later this week and it should be fully rideable very soon.

I look forward to chatting with you on further restoration of this great little bike. Although fully usable, the painted fenders are a little dinged up and there's rust here and there. Honestly, I kinda like it's battle damage. :)

Thanks! I took it out this weekend and put 14 miles on it. Got quite a few compliments on the old girl. It's quite a pleasure to give new life to a bike that would have otherwise been in the city dump or scrap yard. :D

I had a mens American yard sale find years back. Didn't have the vision at the time to do anything with it so sold it. Keep kicking myself on that one. So this one I decided to experiment with and see if I could do a restore. So far so good. Need to get some updated photos to post.

She'll have fun with it. It's a very easy bike to ride. I put 14 miles on it last weekend. My rear end was a bit sore after. Other than that all ran well.

Latest posts

Back