Wide tire on skinny rim

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
So I am planning for the build off that could involve some OCC Stingray rear tires and wanted to see if I could mount them on a really narrow rim compared to what they normally go on. They were a bit of a bear to mount them on the rim, but as you can see I got them to seat. Please ignore that fact that you can't see the axle ends in the one picture as the hub on the wheel would not be used. I plan on lacing up these rims to a rear wheel Tricycle Hub.

What I am wondering is will they stay on these rims without popping the beads off?
Test fit tire 1.jpg

Test fit tire 2.jpg

Test fit tire 3.jpg

Those are fat! Only potential problem I have heard with doing this is the increased load on the sidewalls of the rim, some cheap rims will fail with a separation. I think if you are using any decent rim you should be fine though.

Luke.

i did something similar with a tire i had but it was made specifically for a skinnier wheel.
the tire i used was a 20x3 though.
looks like you got it set my friend.
if it's inflated and rolling smoothly i wouldn't worry about it popping the bead too much. but on the same sense i would proceed with caution.
Sean

Good advice from the two aforementioned posts’.

That 20 X 4¼ tire looks awesome on that chromed “skinny” rim – inspiring :cool2:.

As long as the bead size is right it should seat.
I ran flames on a 1.25 rim with no problems.

Whats your thoughts behind going with a skinny rim and those tires? The biggest problem I have ran into putting wider tires on a rim then intended is tube failure at the stem. Had thought about lacing some up on trike hubs too but just keeping the stingray rims.

From my bmx days, I learned, a skinny rim will take hits better, less chance for curb dents, but.... it's the tire overhang protecting it, so you get more, "snake bite," flats!
As far as beading goes, a decent rim and tire will seat fine, provided you work the bead line into place. Do not just blow them up, check the bead!
Stem failures are from underinflation, or just a bad tube.

Whats your thoughts behind going with a skinny rim and those tires? The biggest problem I have ran into putting wider tires on a rim then intended is tube failure at the stem. Had thought about lacing some up on trike hubs too but just keeping the stingray rims.
I am looking at lacing them to the trike hubs of the trike I got.

Latest posts

Back