Widest tire in a road bike.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an old Schwinn letour II that I got from my parents while in college a long time ago. I have it as a simple commuter now but I thought it might be fun to give it a cafe racer look while also making it a little more comfortable. The thin tires are rough to ride on Milwaukee roads. What it the fattest wheel and tires I could get for this bike? I'm willing to go coaster brake or fixie as well. It currently has a flip flop hub and only brakes on the front wheel. I'm also interested in any size wheels (26, 27, 700c, etc). If you have brand names I would love to see them.

It'll all depend on what size tires it came with and how much space between the stays and fork blades. If it was 27" then it might be better to stay at that size for the handbrakes, at least in front. If so, 27 x 1 3/8 will be the best way to go. Your pedals will be the same distance from the ground and all the angles will be the same as it was made. I suspect you have 27 x 1 1/4 tires on it right now, and probably 90psi, good for rolling but not for comfort. 1 3/8 will be more of a cushion but won't have the great rolling like the skinny ones do. Niagara has them here: there are a few more listed but this is the one that may be best for what you're looking for.
http://www.niagaracycle.com/categories/kenda-k161-tire-27-x-1-3-8

A Le Tour II was spec'd with 27" wheels; I'd go 700c to take advantage of more options for tires and a little more vertical space for bigger rubber. Your brake pads will only need to drop about 4mm to meet the 700c rim; you can examine/measure your calipers to see if this is possible with your existing brake(s); if not, we can surely point you in the direction of something with more reach. Regardless, Le Tours didn't have a whole lot of tire clearance to begin with. A more accurate approach, as compared to asking folks on RRB, would be to measure your fork and between the stays, at about 12.25 to 13.5" from the axle. (In metric, that's 311mm to 343mm--a 700c rim is about 622mm in diameter, not including tires....) My guess? You can easily fit 700x35 tires in there, but more is possible. You won't know for sure til you measure.

(Also, keep in mind that a lot of tires measure up in actuality to a figure different from what's printed on the sidewall, so be sure to allow for that. Also, allow some space for general clearance, run-out from a wheel that's come out-of-true, and for fenders if you intend to run those. )

HTH
-Rob

PS- Road bikes vary widely in terms of the max tire size you can run on them; always measure whenever possible.)

I'm running 700x 28. I have about an inch of clearance until the tire is rubbing the brake clamp at the top of the wheel. 4" in the front fork and 4 3/4 in the back. Brakes only needed a minor adjustment. It was more of a thought since any cruiser I ratrod to look like a cafe racer is nearly unrideable since I'm 6'2. I feel my only options on cruisers is ape hangers. Unless you guys have other ideas to make cafe racers easier on tall guys.

I'm thinking I could probably get away with 700x40 on this bike. Now that I understand the measurements a little more. I guess I wasn't aware you could get a tire that fat on 700c road wheels. 700x 40 probably won't fit on the current wheels I'm using right? I got these wheels from a pawn shop that was selling a cracked frame fixie for 40 bucks. There's nothing on the wheels that give me a size or measurement or even brand

700c rim diameter is 622 mm, or 24.5 inches. They are slightly smaller in diameter than a 27" (630 mm) rim. Here's a ton of info:

Fractional sizes:
Fractional ISO Applications
29 inch 622 mm This is a marketing term for wide 622 mm ("700c") tires.
28 x 1 1/2 635 mm English, Dutch, Chinese, Indian Rod-brake roadsters
(Also marked F10, F25, 700 B)
622 mm (F.13)Rare Canadian designation for the (F.13)
28 x 1 5/8 x
1 1/4 Northern European designation for the 622 mm (700 C) size
27 x anything 630 mm Older road bikes
26 x 1 (650 C) 571 mm Triathlon, time trial, small road bikes
26 x 1 1/4 597 mm Older British sport & club bikes
26 x 1 3/8
(S-6) Schwinn "lightweights"
26 x 1 3/8 (E.A.3) 590 mm Most English 3-speeds, department-store or juvenile 10 speeds
26 x 1 1/2 (650B) 584 mm French utility, tandem and loaded-touring bikes,
a very few Raleigh (U.S.) & Schwinn mountain bikes.
26 x 1 3/4
(S-7) 571 mm Schwinn cruisers
26 x 1, 1 1/8 High performance wheels for smaller riders, common on Cannondale bicycles
24 x 1 520 mm High performance wheels for smaller riders; Terry front
24 x 1 1/8 520 mm or
540 mm! Caveat emptor!
24 x 1 1/4 547 mm British or Schwinn Juvenile
24 x 1 3/8
(S-5) Schwinn Juvenile lightweights
24 x 1 3/8
(E-5) 540 mm British Juvenile, most wheelchairs
20 x 1 1/8
20 x 1 1/4
20 x 1 3/8 451 mm Juvenile lightweights, BMX for light riders, some recumbents
20 x 1 3/4 419 mm Schwinn juvenile
17 x 1 1/4 369 mm Alex Moulton AM series
16 x 1 3/8 349 mm Older Moulton; Brompton & other folders, recumbent front, juvenile
16 x 1 3/8 337 mm Mystery tire
16 x 1 3/8 335 mm Polish juvenile
16 x 1 3/4 317 mm Schwinn Juvenile
12 1/2 x anything 203 mm Juvenile, scooters
10 x 2 152 mm Wheelchair
8 x 1 1/4 137 mm Wheelchair
Traditionally, fractional sizes are made for straight-sided rims.

This is all great information guys thank you very much. I guess the last question is where are the best tire deals online. I like the Schwalbe delta tires in cream. 700x 35 or 40. I've look online and I'm seeing around 70 bucks each but am I missing some great site that has better deals?

Also found this, I had no idea I could get a coaster brake in a wheel this tall!

http://www.amazon.com/Electra-Townie-Coaster-Silver-Spokes/dp/B004HHGFD8

If I'm reading everything correctly this coaster wheel with 700cx 40 Electra tires would fit? Should I post photos of my current clearance with 700x 28? I have a lot of space even with the brake, which I would ditch if I got this wheel

You could also lace a Sturmey Archer 2-speed kickback hub w/coaster brake onto a 700c rim; you can go with 700X40 rear tire and a 700X28 front – just say’n.

Who am I? Bill gates? Lol that's a sweet hub but a little out of my price range. I'm looking at 42s on both front and back. I like the cafe racer look if I can pull it off

I got the 700c x 40 off the Schwalbe website. They arrived today and I was exhausted from work at 9pm at. Hint but I had to throw them on. They fit perfectly and look amazing! Even though it's -9 outside i went for a little cruise down the block to get a feel. No more rough rides on crappy roads. These tires are wonderful and put new life into a road I've had sitting in my garage for a while. Thank you guys for so much help I'll post pics when I get sunlight

photo.php

Latest posts

Back