Will modern springer forks fit old bike frames?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick questions are the re-pop Monark springer forks or the Felt Abraham Linkage forks compatible with typical vintage bike headsets? I'm looking at a few 1930s to 1940s Schwinn and Colson frames for a custom build but don't even know if I can do what I want with these. I've asked the seller about the ID on the headset but no reply yet. Any info is appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave

The repops are 1" should fit the vintage frames (steer tube might need trimmed), the Felt are 1 1/8". The Felts can be made to fit by playing around with various bearing cups and bearings (look for 'thin' ones). I adapted a 1 1/8" threadless fork to my daughter's bike using Schwinn cups and Worksman bearings.

Beware though, the repop Monarks have had numerous reports of weld failure/tube bending. If it were me, look for a genuine monark unit on here or eBay (that's what i did). In the end, it will cost you less.

Good luck!

Cheers,
Dr. T

Dr. Tankenstein said:
The repops are 1" should fit the vintage frames (steer tube might need trimmed), the Felt are 1 1/8". The Felts can be made to fit by playing around with various bearing cups and bearings (look for 'thin' ones). I adapted a 1 1/8" threadless fork to my daughter's bike using Schwinn cups and Worksman bearings.

Beware though, the repop Monarks have had numerous reports of weld failure/tube bending. If it were me, look for a genuine monark unit on here or eBay (that's what i did). In the end, it will cost you less.

Good luck!

Cheers,
Dr. T

Thanks for the info, good to know the Felt forks can be made to work if needed. That's my basic concern here is buying a frame and then discovering its not compatible with my build idea (which at the moment involves a monark type springer fork).

I'd heard about the repop quality issues. The company building them is selling "new" versions that they say have been modified to fix the previous issues. They also now sell an upgraded motorized bike version for even heavier applications. Since you mentioned it might as well ask here if anyone has any experience with the "new" forks? Are they safe to use?

e now have available a HD Type II Monark Dual Springer fork which has been designed for motorized and HD use. We have listened to our customers, and have redesigned and greatly improved the standard fork. The improvements are 1.Thicker triple chrome springs which provide much better action. 2.All connection points have been reinforced with substantial additional welding. 3.The bottom rockers are now laser cut stainless steel, mounted externally for more wheel clearance.4.The rockers ride on brass bushings for even smoother action. The new Type II is light years ahead from our earlier repros, I believe all will be impressed with it. You can find this fork at http://www.monarkforks.com

Latest posts

Back