WINONA RIDER: finished

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tenor.gif

Winner, winner, chicken dinner!

As an 80's kid, 'My Pet Monster' definitely conjures some nostalgia.

This key chain was made by John Pinkerton of The Monster Sandbox design studio.
Screenshot_20230508-170500_Instagram.jpg

The aesthetic lends itself more to the gnarly and gritty direction I wanted to take my build. Also, the 'My Pet Monster' plush, which is more intimidating than the 'Muppet Babies' vibe of the cartoon.

Screenshot_20230508-200011_Google.jpg

Screenshot_20230508-200320_Google.jpg

Last edited:
With all of that said ☝️...

While I will be incorporating a lot of the colors into my build, I didn't want it to be overtly 'My Pet Monster' like I did with my Pink Panther build.

20201018_105145.jpg

I want you to put 2 and 2 together if I point it out, but I don't want it to be too obvious.

20230508_201126.jpg

20230507_014101.jpg

Found a 20"x 2.125 Goodyear tire (online) with a bluewall that I think will look sweet as the rear wheel with the bold white lettering. Had thought about a slick for the back, but going to see how the bluewall looks and either run another blue wall in front (1.75"), or use the goodyear in front, and a plain black slick in the rear. Really hard to mock up color tires and get a true feel of the aesthetic without mounting the darn things. Not trying to buy 90 tires just to try combinations and only use 2. Still sitting on 2 (unused) pink tires from my Pink Panther build. 🤷‍♂️ 😔

Screenshot_20230512-184419_eBay.jpg

Last edited:
That's a sick tire
Yeah man! It originally sold through an independent dealer/retailer (the .com is on the box). They don't carry this Goodyear bluewall anymore. Might have found a lead on a source in Cali, but as far as I've seen, everyone else only carries an all black or an all white 20" (Goodyear).

All black skinnier Goodyear front might work too.
And those 'Pink Panther' tires weren't wasted;
they helped garner you an OJ Award,after all. 🤪

All black skinnier Goodyear front might work too.
And those 'Pink Panther' tires weren't wasted;
they helped garner you an OJ Award,after all. 🤪
@OddJob
Yes indeed, and those lovely tires are still in use! There is a second set in a lighter pink. I had thought about doing both in the darker pink (like the color of his body) or the lighter pink (like his chin). I tried dark in back and light in front as well. Anyway, the darker pink was by far the right choice, however, now I'm still sitting on the lighter pair.

As @Uncle Shish had mentioned on his build thread, it can be difficult to find time to engage online, and build while still maintaining our day-to-day responsibilities.

That is my reality for this buildoff. This has necessitated a level of simplicity in aspects of my build so that I can focus on the 'wow factors' that I know will require more time to execute.

As a 'doctor' (mad scientist), triage is the name of the game.

"What is this 'wow factor' of which you speak?" Well, I'd love to tell you...

Ever heard of a 'zoetrope'?

Screenshot_20230516-162438_Google.jpg

Screenshot_20230516-155754_Google.jpg

It's basically like a flipbook laid out in one long strip. When you look through the slot of the 'carousel' you see it one frame at a time (like a flip book), which gives the illusion of animation. Like so...

https://i.gifer.com/9ySm.gif

Well there are some really talented people out there doing zoetrope designs on records (frisbee-sized CDs* made of vinyl 😉).
*coaster-sized discs with music etched in.

With that inspiration and practical application in mind... I am attempting to make my hubcabs into a zoetrope. Wish me luck!

What's it gonna be...?

20230516_155557.jpg

20230516_155636.jpg

Mocked up the tire and a temp hubcap. The hubcap here was a prototype from my Pink Panther build. Would need a little trimming, but could work on a 16" wheel. Anyway, definitely going to run the Goodyear in back, but I do like how the bluewall looks up front. If I can find a bluewall in a true 1.75 (not a fat bmx tire that's compatible), then I will run it. If not, I will find an all black 1.75 or narrower. Anyone have a pic of a 20 x 1.35 mounted on a wheel for reference?

20230516_235632.jpg
20230516_235516.jpg
20230516_223053.jpg

Now this is going to be kool!

Just thinking out loud here, but since the bike wheels will likely spin faster than the table top Zoetropev or the turntable; will you space the images on your animation reel farther apart?

Latest posts

Back