WINONA RIDER: finished

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was one of my first job outta college, so probably around 2001 or 2002. I'm not even sure how the PIP Animation got my name and resume, my field was graphic design. However, I got the job, showed up for day one in a shirt and tie. The guy next to me had a dog collar and a mohawk haircut, so I knew it would be a good fit. We did the digitization and coloring of hand drawn artwork, and composition of said elements into the film output, mostly for low budget stuff and cheesy kid's shows. Then we got the Ripping Friends contract. I believe we got it because of the controlling nature of the creator, John K, who also did Ren and Stumpy. He chose us above overseas companies because he literally wanted his hands in everything. He came in to the studio a couple of times, making minor tweaks and changes to colors, making us redo scenes, etc. He is as zany and weird as you would expect from watching his shows. I didn't see any of the unsavory behaviour for which he later got a reputation

Not the same but this made me think of your build

I mean, that's pretty much what I'm going for, but the pattern and images will be different. That's a sweet zoetrope, and I hope mine turns out as nice.

Last edited:
Everytime I buy accessories instead of building...

Me: "Look! New grips!"

20230326_150521.jpg

My brain:

Screenshot_20230526-165959_Google.jpg

^oh my goodness, that image is from the Ripping Friends cartoon... When I was in animation, I worked on that show, I might have colored that
It was one of my first job outta college, so probably around 2001 or 2002. I'm not even sure how the PIP Animation got my name and resume, my field was graphic design. However, I got the job, showed up for day one in a shirt and tie. The guy next to me had a dog collar and a mohawk haircut, so I knew it would be a good fit. We did the digitization and coloring of hand drawn artwork, and composition of said elements into the film output, mostly for low budget stuff and cheesy kid's shows. Then we got the Ripping Friends contract. I believe we got it because of the controlling nature of the creator, John K, who also did Ren and Stumpy. He chose us above overseas companies because he literally wanted his hands in everything. He came in to the studio a couple of times, making minor tweaks and changes to colors, making us redo scenes, etc. He is as zany and weird as you would expect from watching his shows. I didn't see any of the unsavory behaviour for which he later got a reputation

Holy cow! You just helped me solve one of my mystery memories from when I was a kid! That was the cartoon I caught on one Saturday morning that scared me as a kid! It was the episode with the evil underpants, specifically the part where the superhero's beating up the innocent caterpillar!

I was 8 years old when that show came on the air. I thought I was younger when I saw it...

Thanks, both for mildly traumatizing me as a kid, and for mildly disturbing me as an adult! 🤣

Picked up my front tire and chain today from my LBS. Had to special order, but exactly what I wanted 😁 The bmx pic is just to showcasethe chain. Not my bike

20230528_124130.jpg

20230528_124136.jpg

20230528_135745.jpg

Oh and scored these vintage patches 😍
*pop quiz* do you know what the STP patch is?

20230528_122647.jpg

Picked up my front tire and chain today from my LBS. Had to special order, but exactly what I wanted 😁 The bmx pic is just to showcasethe chain. Not my bike

View attachment 234326
View attachment 234327
View attachment 234330

Oh and scored these vintage patches 😍
*pop quiz* do you know what the STP patch is?

View attachment 234328
STP -scientifically tested petroleum. I used to run it in my cars as a kid, until I pulled an engine apart to rebuild it and the oil was like crude oil/ tar . Never used it again !

Though I gave it a 0000 rubdown, and cleaned the frame, I didn't take it down to metal or smooth out irregularities, so it still has a little grunge to it, but aside from the surface itself, the paint came out amazing! Got the blend I wanted, and hit it with clear. The beauty of Montana cans, is the paint dries so quick you can go to clear pretty quick. Had a Krylon high gloss readily available, so the clear will take slightly longer to dry. However, I've got my trusty dehumidifier hastening the process.

20230528_134745.jpg
20230528_134855.jpg
20230528_135335.jpg
20230528_140742.jpg

STP -scientifically tested petroleum. I used to run it in my cars as a kid, until I pulled an engine apart to rebuild it and the oil was like crude oil/ tar . Never used it again !
You are close! *clue* This is a hippie parody of the oil...try again?

You are close! *clue* This is a hippie parody of the oil...try again?
A Cali punk band called the Angry Samoans released an album in 88 titled "STP Not LSD". There was a track with the same title, but I doubt that's what you are talking about...

A Cali punk band called the Angry Samoans released an album in 88 titled "STP Not LSD". There was a track with the same title, but I doubt that's what you are talking about...

They are referencing what I'm talking about. Getting closer!

*edit* it was the old school name for what is now called DMT.

S.erenity. T.ranquility P.eace

Screenshot_20230528-163704_Google.jpg

Last edited:
Though I gave it a 0000 rubdown, and cleaned the frame, I didn't take it down to metal or smooth out irregularities, so it still has a little grunge to it, but aside from the surface itself, the paint came out amazing! Got the blend I wanted, and hit it with clear. The beauty of Montana cans, is the paint dries so quick you can go to clear pretty quick. Had a Krylon high gloss readily available, so the clear will take slightly longer to dry. However, I've got my trusty dehumidifier hastening the process.

View attachment 234338View attachment 234339View attachment 234340View attachment 234341
Those colors are really gonna "pop" in the sunlite! Is the banana seat on the bottom shelf the one selected for this ride??

Latest posts

Back