Winter Build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, help me pick one to RAT this winter. And one to save for a FUTURE build -off. The men's is a 1936-38 Monarch. The woman's is a 1940 Sterling. Or...... a late 90's Re-Bike 818. Has anyone ever seen or done a stock framed recumbent RATTED? One of them is getting done this winter. I like the idea of making a stock frame into a "one of a kind" bike. I got LUCKY on my first CUSTOM (intro), it actually works! I plan on making a bike like Honestabes "fantastic" Ratted chopper, just don't have the right bike for a starting point, yet. THANKS

KOTA

072.jpg

069.jpg

077.jpg

aka_locojoe said:
I know the condition of these bikes tends to look better in the pictures than in reality but I'd leave that first one alone. Maybe swap the wheels from the girls bike.

Good idea, the rims and chainguard would look right on the boy's. Never entered my mind. Thanks

I gotta agree.I'd leave that boys bike alone, use the girls bike for parts for it and chop up the girls bike...but hey,their your bikes,do whatever ya want.

KOTA.... Both of the old bikes are GREAT.

If it were me, RESTO-MOD the men's bike. Since it's complete and in good shape, but not in "museum condition", it's perfect RESTO material. I think I'd either clean-up the original paint (if it's in good enough shape) or repaint it back to the same pattern. I'd fit that baby out with a NEXUS 3 or 7 speed rear, and a matching front..... with some cool tires. Then I'd put on a matching seat and handgrips.... and RIDE that puppy! (KEEP all of the original parts, though)

BUT I can sympathize with the folks who say keep it as-is. I've got a 1940 Columbia that is very similar your Sterling.... same paint, same wheels, same everything, except possibly the Headbadge. (Columbia must have sold them under different names) It has sat in my shop for three years waiting for me to decide what to do with it.....

One thing I would NOT do is take parts off of the Girls Bike, and put them onto the Men's bike. That Sterling appears to be in better shape than the Monarch. It would be a shame to sacrifice it for parts. Those Monarch rims, by the way, would be very easy to repaint. I did a set of painted Schwinn rims on my last bike and was surprised at how well they turned out.

[/quoteOne thing I would NOT do is take parts off of the Girls Bike, and put them onto the Men's bike. That Sterling appears to be in better shape than the Monarch. It would be a shame to sacrifice it for parts. Those Monarch rims, by the way, would be very easy to repaint. I did a set of painted Schwinn rims on my last bike and was surprised at how well they turned out.]

Thanks it's nice to get other opinions! You are right they are not MUSEUM quality. They were my wifes parents bicycles,they bought them NEW (that's why I know the years of both ), she said I could do whatever I wanted with them, EXCEPT, sell them or CHOP them up! This way any parts I remove could be placed back on in the future.
By the way I live about 5 miles from the old "Columbia Mfg" plant. Growing up I thought that ALL bikes were Columbias, that's what everyone had.

Thanks
KOTA

I would put a short neck and a set of 36" to 48" apes on the recumbent to go with that slick. maybe rams horns! ha ha! NEVER seen a set of those.

Try this stuff on the frame and fenders of that monarch.
polish.jpg

works great. I would also paint relace the wheels and refurbish the hubs. Then i'd ride the snot out of it. I love skip tooths. What is that on the left side of the front hub? very cool bike. POTENTial.

would also paint relace the wheels and refurbish the hubs. Then i'd ride the snot out of it. I love skip tooths. What is that on the left side of the front hub? very cool bike. POTENTial.

That's a speedometer on the hub of the mens bike, with a little over 1900 miles on it. I've ridden them both and with that size chainring they're surprisingly fast! After listening to everyone, I'll probably just clean them up (compound) and ride them the way they are.
I am thinking about a whitewall sliclk (rear) for the Re-Bike, with a lowrider bent fork (16 or 20in) for the front. Does anyone know how much either of these forks lower a bike. I would like to put a larger front tire on, but, keep the frame sitting straight (like it is now), instead of it raking backwards.

Back