Winter Rat

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skipton

Come out and ride with The Chicago TailDraggers!
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Although there is no snow on the ground
I thought it would be cool to make a Winter Rat with “Snow Tires” for commuting
To work. Studded knobby tires are a lot of money was thinking about doing something like this
Any one ever try this?
http://www.silentsports.net/stud_your_o ... tires.html

Back in November I bought this Schwinn Frame and wheels off craigslist
100_5475.jpg

Also got this Girls JC Higgins for free when I bought the red 24in Typhoon
100_5474.jpg

I started to play with Them this weekend.
100_5478-1.jpg

Have this tank I thought I could use
100_5484.jpg

100_5486.jpg

100_5489.jpg

My question is which set of wheels should I use? The S-7 look nice and red.
But are the rusty chrome ones any stronger and have more tire choices? Any opinions?
both sets well need both hubs serviced :|
100_5492.jpg

100_5493.jpg

Thanks Skip

I made a set of tires that way once. Using some mostly worn out Specialized Ground Control with dimpled knobbies. I drilled from the outside in (sort of a pilot hole) using the center of the dimple to keep everything aligned nice. Then I just drove the screws from the inside out.

I used screws meant for attaching metal studs (for walls, like 2x4's)since they seemed to have the shortest threads and flattest heads. The traction was awesome, but you really need to run tire liners, the heads cause flats. The exposed threads of the screws are dangerous as can be too...which is quickly offset by the fact that you can rip across a bare pond like a madman.

Maybe I'll dig them out later and take some pics of them. They have not been used in about 10 years.

Back