Jude's finds

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is a video of the FFS.
Dude: super cool. -Thing is turning and shifting like silk!

so, I like weird/ unique stuff and this thing is right in my wheelhouse!

I get the whole establishment position siting weight issues and the design not necessarily being based on rider necessity, but, it’s without question super unique!

have you ever logged any serious miles on one or what’s your take?

I built it for a friend. Found it at a thrift store for $35. Still had a little “price tag” that said “built by giant”. It was a Schwinn world traveler I believe. It had a positron derailleur and at the time I didn’t know what that was. Unfortunately I cut the cable. A positron cable costs more than the bike. So I swapped derailleurs. I have a video of the build somewhere.

So to answer your question, I didn’t put
many miles on it. I think it is super cool too. My main concern was giving the bike to someone and them having an issue in the future. I promised to take care of it forever after explaining they might have trouble taking it to a bike shop.

That is a Snyder built frame with the bottom bracket having the typical Volcano welds where you can see the edge of the tubing where seat tube ,down tube and chain stays enter the bracket. Maybe a Snyder built Hawthorn or Rollfast

You could check with Crystal Lake City Hall, they probably have all the permanent bike licenses in a book somewhere.
Technically, it appears the town is no longer in existence!!! I’ve reached out to new Rochelle, NY to see if they can point me in the right direction!

That is a Snyder built frame with the bottom bracket having the typical Volcano welds where you can see the edge of the tubing where seat tube ,down tube and chain stays enter the bracket. Maybe a Snyder built Hawthorn or Rollfast
This makes TOTAL since! I’m in central NY, and that Schneider plant was actually not very far from Crystal Lake.

I think the Schneider plant was in Little Falls.

definitely looks like a 30’s Hawthorne Flyer….. thanks for the insight!

Last edited:
…… it’s also good to note, there are literally NO tire options for these S6 wheels….

I knew the Pickens were slim….. but SHEESH!!!!!! :headbang:

i can’t believe there isn’t a SINGLE gravel/off road tire that will fit on an S6 wheel!????

Last edited:
No clue what it is, but my neighbor had it in his scrap trailer!!!!!

I offered him $10 if the wheels were straight and he laughed and said just take it!!!!!

Tires are flat, but everything else looks really nice and appears to be fully functional!!!!!
34A40091-FA1A-497B-B10A-5C8D68D77630.jpeg

688988E6-12E3-4E58-BA56-8A7DCFFD73CA.jpeg

The spelling in your title had me reading it differently in my head. Since this is a PG and PC group I will refrain from explaining further 🤣

Now as to the Kabuki bike. Sweet score. Never seen or heard of one before

The spelling in your title had me reading it differently in my head. Since this is a PG and PC group I will refrain from explaining further 🤣

Now as to the Kabuki bike. Sweet score. Never seen or heard of one before
HA-HA!!!!!! My bad!!!!!! lol.

Tweaked the thread.... -still never heard of the thing! but it looks pretty cool and feels pretty light compared to most of the other bikes I ride!!!!!

it does have a cottered crank... so, there's that!!!!!!!

Wheels are straight and brake rubber is pretty sticky!

It looks like it definitely has some funky stuff going on. can't wait to get my hands on it for a bit.

I have/had quite of few of these. They are unique in their frame construction. I call it "Cast in place". Aluminum lugs cast with the steel frame tubes pre-placed in the molds. Head tube is a single casting, bb, seat lug and fork crown. No welding, no brazing other than the fork ends and bridges. Look close and the molds have fake spear points to emulate pointy lugs.

Cast aluminum doesn't tolerate flexing so the seat post is a wedge expander type. Much like an old school handlebar stem. There is a bolt head on the top of the post to loosen up the wedge. The bolt you see in the lug is just for holding the brake cable hanger and reflector in place. Been my experience the seat tube is full of crudy water and other filth. There is no opening into the bb shell so junk collects in the tubes.

They sold a variety of models. The coolest model was the Sub Mariner. That was their high end (relatively speaking) bike that had polished stainless steel main frame tubes. I rebuilt one as a 5 speed for my sister and another girls frame version with a Shimano 333 hub and 27" wheels. Those are still in my mom's garage.

I just dismantled a Super Speed with all steel parts and every steel part was rusty. Steel cottered cranks, steel rims, etc. Must of have been a cheaper model Looks like it had a baby seat on it and the seat stays got slightly bent. Cool handle bars but they had some chrome flaking off. Surely not triple plate chrome. Aluminum peg as a der protector. And a wicked head badge. I kept the frame set. Might make an okay ss/fixie project.

Last edited:
I have/had quite of few of these. They are unique in their frame construction. I call it "Cast in place". Aluminum lugs cast with the steel frame tubes pre-placed in the molds. Head tube is a single casting, bb, seat lug and fork crown. No welding, no brazing other than the fork ends and bridges. Look close and the molds have fake spear points to emulate pointy lugs.

Cast aluminum doesn't tolerate flexing so the seat post is a wedge expander type. Much like an old school handlebar stem. There is a bolt head on the top of the post to loosen up the wedge. The bolt you see in the lug is just for holding the brake cable hanger and reflector in place. Been my experience the seat tube is full of crudy water and other filth. There is no opening into the bb shell so junk collects in the tubes.

They sold a variety of models. The coolest model was the Sub Mariner. That was their high end (relatively speaking) bike that had polished stainless steel main frame tubes. I rebuilt one as a 5 speed for my sister and another girls frame version with a Shimano 333 hub and 27" wheels. Those are still in my mom's garage.

I just dismantled a Super Speed with all steel parts and every steel part was rusty. Steel cottered cranks, steel rims, etc. Must of have been a cheaper model Looks like it had a baby seat on it and the seat stays got slightly bent. Cool handle bars but they had some chrome flaking off. Surely not triple plate chrome. Aluminum peg as a der protector. And a wicked head badge. I kept the frame set. Might make an okay ss/fixie project.

Thanks for the info! Awesome read! The bike does look really nice! I was going to use it for parts, may just put on a saddle, air up the tires and ride it!

Latest posts

Back