WOW!!!!!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There were two separate episodes of "Chasing Classic Cars" on this awhile back, one for the cars and the other for bikes and motorcycles. It was amazing what some of this brought at the auction.....one particular lot of license plates went for thousands of $$$. :shock:

That is truly awesome, all the bikes and cars, kinda sad in the same respect though, here was everything that ever meant anything to this guy, now simple plunder for the wealthy to put there hands all over and this collection is no more.

I thought about going to that auction but it was $100 to get in...so I registered for online bidding. The auction was online so I watched it some license plate collections went for over $30k . I bid on some lots of 3 80's motorcycles my bid was higher than the winner and in the day or 2 before But I lost????? The auction co. couldnt tell me why I lost. Talked to several people got a runaround.

Holy WOW! That's a collection. I like that red Sterling Edwards they kept flashing back to, looks like a crossbreed between two of my favorite cars an early '50's Corvette and a Shelby Cobra. And that Veritas looks like an early Bat-mobile. AWESOME!

I'd love just to pick through those dumpsters! Imagine if there was that much good even the bad would have to be spectacular. I wonder what was in there.

This is the reason I use all my stuff, I take care of it but I use it for its intended use. If its a car I drive it hard for example.

Because like this guy he took great care of all his stuff probably did not use it much. Now his family does not give a crap and are selling all this stuff off for a quick profit.

I may get slammed for this, but a story like this upsets me a little. If I had even a small amount of that stuff I would do my best to keep it in good shape and display it! Maybe a museum or something of the kind. It seems to me sort of selfish that he would have it, then just squirrl it away never to be seen again. And to what end? He passed on, and then people are pulling a kind of archaeological dig to discover it all and catalog it.

I'm just saying he could have done something more to share his collection with people who appreciate it while he still had time to enjoy it with them. Now he's gone and the family is just getting rid of it. It's a shame.

CRASH said:
I may get slammed for this, but a story like this upsets me a little. If I had even a small amount of that stuff I would do my best to keep it in good shape and display it! Maybe a museum or something of the kind. It seems to me sort of selfish that he would have it, then just squirrl it away never to be seen again. And to what end? He passed on, and then people are pulling a kind of archaeological dig to discover it all and catalog it.

I'm just saying he could have done something more to share his collection with people who appreciate it while he still had time to enjoy it with them. Now he's gone and the family is just getting rid of it. It's a shame.

Half of those rare pieces I'd loan out to a museum for safe keeping. Not to mention I'll bet a museum would foot the restoration bill if you signed a 10 year display contract with them. They pay up to restore it, you let them display it for 10 years, and they sell tickets and get a lot more traffic through the museum. :mrgreen: Everybody wins.

Awesome vid, found the top 10 auction results, kinda surprised at the price on alot of the model A and T roadsters were in $2K-5K range thought they woulda went higher, at least out here.

Lee Hartung Collection Auctions America by RM – Top 10 Auction Results

1. 1911 Flying Merkel Twin Belt Drive – $201,250
2. 1950 Veritas BMW – $195,500
3. 1950 Edwards R-26 Roadster – $143,750
4. 1912 Harley-Davidson Single-Cylinder Belt Drive – $115,000
5. 1911 Pope Model H – $83,375
6. 1909 Sears – $66,125
7. 1938 Indian Four-Cylinder Rigid Frame – $64,400
8. 1926 Henderson Deluxe Fire Department Motorcycle – $63,250
9. 1915 Harley-Davidson Single-Cylinder Two-Speed – $57,500
10. 1904 Fabrique-Nationale Four-Cylinder Shaft Drive – $55,200

socal_jack said:
Awesome vid, found the top 10 auction results, kinda surprised at the price on alot of the model A and T roadsters were in $2K-5K range thought they woulda went higher, at least out here.

You'd think they would go for more but the thing to remember is they made literally millions of model A's and T's so they are not rare by a long shot. Uncommon but not rare.

outskirtscustoms said:
socal_jack said:

You'd think they would go for more but the thing to remember is they made literally millions of model A's and T's so they are not rare by a long shot. Uncommon but not rare.

Agreed a lot were made but finding one in nearly NOS shape and possibly running condition is another matter. Easy to find a lot of rusted out buckets

Back