Yard Ornament -7/31 AS GOOD AS IT'S GONNA GET!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I picked up this 35 - 37 long frame Colson for $5 from a woman who was using it for a lawn ornament. Never built a RatRod before but once I got it home I saw another one that a friend had converted to a custom so I got inspired to do the same. Don't have a complete plan yet but I mostly plan on using parts I already have with the exception of the tires I bought. Pictures show the "as found" condition in full white paint and the front fender on backwards.

DSCF1182.jpg

DSCF1183.jpg

DSCF1180.jpg

These pictures show a set of Elgin wheels with the Finned Air Cooled hubs. Tires are 26 x 2.4 & 26 x 1.25.
DSCF1202.jpg

DSCF1203.jpg

Fenders removed and new wheels installed.
DSCF1204.jpg

Re: Yard Ornament

That's an awesome frame you got there, I'll defiantly have to watch this build. :shock:
Its seems likes we're in the same boat because I was kinda late to start my build and I never (really) made a rat rodder. And when I got my Colson its front fender was on backwards too (not my buildoff bike), but no white house paint.So, are you re-painting it or are you going to preserve the yard art look?

Yard Ornament added Guard

Added a chainguard. Not sure if I'm going to keep in on or not.

DSCF1207.jpg

5 bucks!! You're looking good. Get Ratty with it. Keep that chainguard unless you find a better one that fits you. Ya almost there. Good luck and...GET TA BUILDIN'!! PEACE

I guess the stem, forks, and frame are ONE!! Welded headset nut to the stem... now thats ratty! Hope theres some old grease left in them bearings. :) Its looking very cool BTW!
DSCF1183.jpg

I'm excited to see this transformation. Sad to see a nice bike used as a yard ornament, but hey, maybe there's some money to be made in selling yard ornaments since I can't seem to sell bikes around here! haha Glad you liberated this one.

I've decided to add a spring fork. Here's a picture of the style I'm going to use except the one I'm using is from a girls bike. I forgot to take a picture before I disassembled it but it's very similar. Going to do some mods to make it fit and so the wheel/tire sits further up into the fork because of the lack of fenders.
DSCF1219.jpg

Great bike!
Looks like the original paint is still there under the house paint.

Re: Yard Ornament - Fork mock up

Got the fork mocked up on the bike. Still need to drill the axle holes in the new front dropouts. Decided to go with a double spring arrangement for something different. Lots of details to work out Crappy picture, should have moved it for a plain background so details could be seen.
DSCF1220-1.jpg
DSCF1223.jpg

Drilled holes and mounted the wheel for a quick look. I likes it! Lot's of finishing to do but you get the idea.
DSCF1226.jpg

DSCF1227-1.jpg

Latest posts

Back