TRADITIONAL All American Varsity

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would go with the lugged Giant, but I don't feel the same loyalties as you. It's a pretty piece of steel, but if it doesn't fire up your passion, then it's not right for the BO.

Got another Varsity yesterday. 1972 Campus Green 24" frame with Continental bar assembly, and center pull brakes. Rear der replaced at some point. non-Schwinn shift levers on the Schwinn lever mount. Sooo heavy.

Schwinn.Varsity.FH062412.1972.27w.24f (1).JPG

Attachments

• Schwinn.Varsity.FH062412.1972.27w.24f (2).jpg
    Schwinn.Varsity.FH062412.1972.27w.24f (2).jpg
    384.3 KB · Views: 0
There is/was a local dry cleaner chain named Varsity Cleaners with a fleet of trucks that are too similar to that restaurants food trucks. I'll have a quarter pounder of chemicals please. Can you get this bbq sauce out of the wedding dress?

There is plenty of greasy greasy (but goooood) food at "The V" to stain some clothes

1715710642128.png

Oh god. That makes my gut hurt. Is that real?

Oh, it's definitely real!! If you are ever driving through Atlanta, you gotta get off at the Georgia Tech exit and do your stomach a favor.
Caveat: Just make sure you are prepared to stop at an unknown exit farther down the road because you cannot trust that any gas you may have is just gas and not liquid for the following 15 hours. :D

Oh, it's definitely real!! If you are ever driving through Atlanta, you gotta get off at the Georgia Tech exit and do your stomach a favor.
Caveat: Just make sure you are prepared to stop at an unknown exit farther down the road because you cannot trust that any gas you may have is just gas and not liquid for the following 15 hours. :D
All true

Says the Ramblin' Wreck from Georgia Tech!

It's Wabbit Season!

angry looney tunes GIF

Got another Varsity yesterday. 1972 Campus Green 24" frame with Continental bar assembly, and center pull brakes. Rear der replaced at some point. non-Schwinn shift levers on the Schwinn lever mount. Sooo heavy.

View attachment 265306
There should be a lust emoji available…oh wait, 😛 I guess that’ll do.

It's also construction season here.

IMG_8255.JPG

Doh, more b$$$rd children, both with flat bar conversions.

Murray built Schwinn Varsity. 1984. FFS, Positron. Tubular fork won't take wide tires.
Murray.made.Varsity.JPG

And a 1986 Giant built Schwinn Varsity with FFS, Positron, lugged frame. Tubular fork. Catch and release.
Giant.made.Varsity.JPG

Wait, some Schwinns were built by Murray?

Yes, After Schwinn phased out the main Chicago factory during 1983 some of the ef equipment was sent to Kentucky to be used to make some ef models. This lasted for about 1 to 2 years. They are different if you look close. No more flat blade forks. The bottom bracket isn't all ef joinery, it's a rubik's cube of shims and a single blob weld to hold it all together. And because Schwinn kept changing their decals, new decal designs. And transfer decals instead of screen print. They continued the same Chicago serial number system which is unusual because Schwinn's had different serial number systems for all their other factories or sources.

TIMBER!

about 2 hours ago a huge tree branch broke off and landed on my van and the ever growing family of Varsities.
At least 3 injured. One fork totaled. 2 seats bent over sideways at 90 degrees. Won't know the full fatality count until the tree branch is removed. Window smashed out of the van, big dent in the roof line, crease down the side of the van. My previous van got hit in a similar way during the big 2020 Derecho and the insurance company totaled that one. A preliminary look, I think the dents won't make it impossible to just replace the glass. I've looked at the Honda before, the entire rear quarter panel is a single piece from the bottom of the fender to the roof rack gutter line. Overhead power lines to the garage ripped off the house end. At least I could get in the side door to release the overhead openers. I've been meaning to bury those lines but never wanted to cut through the roots of this tree. Well, looks like the tree is going to be completely removed now. The last big branch is pointed towards the house. Not good.

The Murray build Varsity took it hard. the upright bar conversion was just right to catch the tree.

IMG_2249.JPEG
IMG_2248.JPEG
IMG_2254.JPEG

Whoa!!! That's brutal man!
Glad no one was hurt, but that's serious damage to both car and bikes.
Good luck!

Latest posts

Back