Oiling Schwinn rear hub

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that this has been discussed before, but I can't locate the posts.

I need to oil the rear hub on my wife's Schwinn due to the sluggish stopping distance. After cleaning up the rear hub, I found this zerk-type fitting.

100_7514.JPG

100_7512.JPG

What I'd like to know is where to put the oil in? Does it go through the small hole at the top of the fitting or does the fitting need to be unscrewed completely and then filled? What's the best way to fill the rear hub? I plan on using some diesel oil that I have around garage. Is this ok to use or should I use something else?

Plan to ride next weekend and want to make sure that the brakes are good.

Thanks for the help.

i think you want to use grease not oil. never seen a zurk fitting like that, looks like some kind of cap. take the cap off and stick your grease gun on and pump a couple spuirts in. if that dosent work, you might need to dissassemble the hub and clean all the old gunk out which is probably your problem.

Markm said:
OIL!!! You should be able to fit the tip in there...

Tip of what, a grease gun?? Don't think that it would fit because of the sliding part that goes on top. I was thinking about using my kid's syringe for taking medicine....

no grease!! Oil. I use oil from a small bottle with a long hose that retracts into the bottle. The hose from that fits in the zerk...

If it is a Surmey 3 speed then light machine oil should be used. If it is a coaster brake then it may use grease, depends on who made the hub. As far as getting grease into the hub you could use what is called a needle tip for your grease gun. You can buy a needle tip at your FLAPS. :mrgreen:

I bit the bullet and took it to an old-timer LBS. Charged me only $25 to rebuild the rear hub. For that price, I also took him another bike to get the rear hub rebuilt. That bike also had some issue with the neck bearings. Fixed both bikes for $60. Now both stop better than when new. :mrgreen:

Back