TRADITIONAL Stir crazy

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back from second page slacker status. To many 12 hr shifts in a row. I finally got the rest of the paint to give up on the frame. I can't find good aircraft stripper i have used in the past. So slow it is. On a positive note all i have left is the tank, front forks, and a chainguard if i use one. Everthing will be clear coated with dead flat clear. At this pace i should be done by December. Time to pull the steel wool strands out of my fingers and start another part.
20240514_104452.jpg

Tedious, but rewarding work!

Looks good. I really like the bare metal look.
Three layers of the most armor proof paint i've ever stripped. Could have sent it to the blaster but they come out to clean and shiny for my likes. I'll give them a little OA bath which will take out the shine and give it a little more aged look. A couple light coats of dead flat clear and ready for my pin striper.

Ummm, looks good as it is? Looks like it's already done? (second photo)

Or was your comment
I'm going to pull this springer apart to finish stripping the paint.
just a 'strip, tease' ?

Looks great.
It seems like there is an ongoing commentary in this build off that strippers just don't work as hard as they used to. :D

Back at it today. I mounted up some tires from my stash to see what works. i started with my last set of fat franks, which are always my favorites. I fought with the springer top bracket way to long. I don't know if it was the wrong one or if it had just been bent. It was the only one i could find. Right now there is a lot of slop in the front forks. I will have to take back apart and figure how to tighten up. Once the fork is lined out i will start on fenders.
20240518_180720.jpg

Well I did a little something yesterday while the ribs were smoking away. The tank got a little to close to
1000000523.jpg
to the drill press and next thing I know it had holes in it. Since there were holes I figured why not get the dimple die out. The hardest part of this was measuring and marking several times to get everything lined up as I wanted them. I used a metal hole saw with guide bit and I'm happy with the results. Only one half to finish. More plans for this tank when the supplies arrive.

Well I did a little something yesterday while the ribs were smoking away. The tank got a little to close to View attachment 266448to the drill press and next thing I know it had holes in it. Since there were holes I figured why not get the dimple die out. The hardest part of this was measuring and marking several times to get everything lined up as I wanted them. I used a metal hole saw with guide bit and I'm happy with the results. Only one half to finish. More plans for this tank when the supplies arrive.

Oh no, the travesty :):)
Seriously though, I love the dimpled holes in the tank. Well done man!

I did a little today between the rains and busy work schedule. I finished drilling the holes and using the dimple dies on the other side of the tank. Amazingly the holes lined up perfectly. I had to do a little massaging on the tank to get it to fit correctly between the rails but all is good. Also pulled the springer apart and chased all the threads. I just need to reassemble and get tightened up to remove all the slop i had when i first mounted it. Next up fender time.
20240523_170915.jpg
20240523_171739.jpg

Back