TRADITIONAL Undecided

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
IMG_4662.jpeg
This monark frame is the only part of this build I’m decided on. That’s why it’s named undecided. I originally had a plan then I parted out some bikes and came up with some parts that would take it a different direction.

I’ll likely mock it up both ways and decide!

Great starting point. Taking a build where it tells you it wants to go is one of the most fun ways to build in my opinion. Every day is a surprise. :D

Dig the Monark frame. And it's not a real Build Off until we see that background at the start of another dropstep build!

RaT oN~!

Spent most of my free time this evening catching up on yard work but snuck down to the basement to clean up and dig around some.
IMG_5491.jpeg
IMG_5492.jpeg
Frame is pretty crusty but doesn’t look as bad as a prior build that had to get a rust hole filled with weld. I do wish more of that green paint was left!
IMG_5493.jpeg
IMG_5494.jpeg
Got out some baskets and some racks, I really like the newspaper style rear baskets. If this thing goes full rat build then those are likely.
IMG_5490.jpeg
Build option 3 is see how much of this ladies Higgins I can swap over. I normally avoid skip tooth but this hasn’t sold and I like the springer.

Hopefully Friday I can start doing some mock up work. My first rrb build was a monark.

Got a bit of spare time tonight so did mock up the more traditional style build.
IMG_5540.jpeg
Felt wrong without a monark sprocket
IMG_5541.jpeg
IMG_5542.jpeg
front rack option. Rear baskets of course
IMG_5543.jpeg
IMG_5544.jpeg
all the baskets! Like it better than expected. Of course needs more front tire and plenty of cleaning.

Pros: simple, have all the parts and no need to paint.
Cons: might not ride it.
Tomorrow or Sunday it gets the mock up in my original build off plan. See how I feel. Don’t think I can tear apart the ladies Higgins unless I track down a men’s Higgins frame 😂

I say get jiggy with the Higgy! You'll be surprised how those cool Higgins parts will look on your frame.

Gonna be a cool beer runner

Got some time tonight and did a mock up in my normal style. These never score many votes and I seem to always build them.
IMG_5557.jpeg
IMG_5556.jpeg

It would mean I’d finally use
IMG_5553.jpeg
IMG_5554.jpeg

Still unsure but I wanted to look at it anyway!
IMG_5558.jpeg
Also decided I should atleast check out the monark parts on the monark. Sadly the front fender is designed to work with
IMG_5559.jpeg
so that sheet metal is out.

Attachments

• IMG_5558.jpeg
    IMG_5558.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5554.jpeg
    IMG_5554.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5553.jpeg
    IMG_5553.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5556.jpeg
    IMG_5556.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5557.jpeg
    IMG_5557.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5559.jpeg
    IMG_5559.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
IMG_5658.jpeg
Had to start tonight with a bit of clean up. My C2 is making a mess.
IMG_5657.jpeg
Fresh grease! New brand so hopefully it doesn’t suck.
IMG_5660.jpeg
IMG_5661.jpeg
the important part of the hub cleaned up nice. These are the first Schwinn wheels I’ve owned that take a normal size tire. Plus I like the paint
IMG_5662.jpeg
the grungy full fender look is the winner for me so far.

Love the tank :D

1715282807482.png

Got a bit of time tonight. Trying to do something daily, back wheel was tonight.
IMG_5680.jpeg
if the paint wasn’t so cool on these I’d never mess with these hubs
IMG_5682.jpeg
IMG_5681.jpeg
got it rebuilt, and ready to ride
IMG_5684.jpeg
need to buy or dig out a chain, adjust the basket mount.
IMG_5685.jpeg
These are just cool and came off something I parted out! Between this bike and my C2 I’m using everything from my wife’s grandmas bike aside from the seat tube and handlebars.

Had to go with the monark sprocket, Schwinn crank though. Also swapped the baskets for a rack. The back was looking a bit too busy.
IMG_5704.jpeg

Not a huge update but it’s been harder than expected for me to keep finding grimy hardware. Handlebars are something I may not have a set to match the look.

Do you still have the Higgins cheese grater rack? Give that a shot in the rear end. :nod:

🤔 Did that come out right?

Back