went and picked up the electra.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well I put an Electra Cruiser 1 on layaway last month and went and snagged it today. It rides REAL smooth for me being so heavy and having the stock tires. Now it needs some mods! (might be hard right now on my budget). Threw a light on it for now to make it night time legal here. Will get an older style one soon.

PIC-0120.jpg

That seat has to go though. Maybe its because I havent ridden a bike in 6 or so years. but god my manhood is not happy. I really would like to find an old leather seat, but the Brooks are so expensive! Also want to get some different tires. Was thinking the grand tycoon pre war red. Any suggestions and tips would be appreciated. My first decent cruiser.

Yep...if there was one thing that had to go...it would be the seat. There are a lot of members here who are big fans of the Electra bikes, and yes most of them gave it the treatment. 8) and soon they will chime in :mrgreen:

Hi! I was looking for a basic pair of reasonably priced blackwall tires for one of my rides a couple weeks ago and somebody here on RRB suggested "Rusty Junky Bikes". Fortunately they had the blackwall Grand Tycoon on sale for $25 a pair. I notice they are back up to $30 now. Depending on what you are looking for the Tycoon's are only 40 psi tires. Here's the link - http://www.junkyrustybikes.net/product_ ... n9c1u6d2l5

If you are looking for a HD tire I've bought three pairs from this guy on ebay and they are a copies of the prewar Goodyear Double Eagle and rated at 65 psi. I'm in the 270 lb range so I feel a lot more comfortable riding the 65 psi tires plus when I inflate them to 65 lbs they have less rolling resistance which I also like. Here is a link for them - http://cgi.ebay.com/Red-Balloon-Tires-P ... 255cf27530

And finally if you want to spend even more money and get the HD 65 psi tires with little rolling resistance AND a BIG FAT LOOK I love the Fat Frank's. If you use standard 2.125 rims they usually fit a bike with fenders without rubbing but they are easily double the price of either of the above.

The choices on tires are endless but I hope this gives you a starting point. Have fun with it.

Good buy man, I also have a Cruiser 1 in black and a Electra Rat Rod. The Cruiser 1 is pretty much a blank canvas...the only thing I have changed out on mine so far are the tires http://www.amazon.com/Cheng-Shin-C1218- ... B000A7RTAC (These tires rate at 65psi and roll very well) and the axle nuts(got some Shadow Conspiracy in red...gotta give it a little contrast.) Next will be the stem... gonna throw a bmx stem on there, then the grips. The saddle is not too bad for me...it's a little more firm than I'm used to. Be sure to post some pics after ya mod it.

Road ty for the ebay link. the higher PSI is what I would need. I was looking at the fat frank, but I am a little too poor right now for those haha. The ebay ones are definitely going on the list though. I kinda want to go with the Urban Assault look with this thing. A little beefier of a tire, BMX stem (like cruisehard already mentioned) and maybe some smaller bars. Has anyone used the knockoff brooks seats?

I picked up my cruiser 1 in September and it's quickly become one of my favorite rides. I love it! It's nice to have a bike that fits my 6"1" frame without having to look like I'm flagpole sitting. I haven't done much more than add a basket and fenders, but I'm keeping my eyes peeled for another seat. I did change the gearing a bit by replacing the 22 tooth rear sprocket with a 19 tooth one. I felt it was geared a little low.
FILE0407.jpg

PS Lexco had the Brick colored tires when I used them on another project. Check with your LBS, maybe they can wrangle you a pair.
But another choice are this Kenda tire I picked up a pair at my local Sporting Goods store for about $30 a pair. 65 psi-not the fattest at 26x1.90 but they do ride nice.
FILE0404.jpg

Latest posts

Back