1932 (?) Royal

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I came home from college this weekend, so of course early morning today my dad, sister, and I had to go check out an old scrapyard in the area that's closing down for who knows what, they've got old bikes, but usually nothing. Anyways on the way there I saw this bike out front of a second hand shop. After giving it a quick once over, I saw the price, would of gladly paid that for it, but barganed him down even farther! The guy had a really cool second hand shop, said it was all his stuff from his house/barns that he'd been collecting for years. He even said he'll have to bring another bike out now that I bought this one! (Definately going back to check up on this, he sort of offered for my dad and I to come check out what has has stashed in his barns...hehehe)

The bike is a Royal, and in great shape. Appears to be all original (correct me if I'm wrong), and the guy said that they man he got it from recieved it as a gift in 1932 when he was 10 years old. I'll probably be selling this in the near future, as college is expensive. I'll post a serial # once I find it, haven't looked yet.

I've also realized I'm "cursed" with finding nice old bikes. Personally I'd rather find some ratty ones that I can mess with and thrash on, but between this and the Western Flyer I picked up a few months ago, they're all to nice to hot rod!

P1020969.jpg

P1020970.jpg

P1020971.jpg

P1020972.jpg

P1020973.jpg

P1020977.jpg

If my literature is accurate, that is a Schwinn model BA67 from 1937. Yours looks correct and complete except for the tires and maybe the drop stand. Very nice score! Even the guard, coke bottle grips, and proper saddle are still on it!

I agree with Kingsting that it is a '37 but it's not a BA67. It's a C67. BA67 had a side stand. Yours has the clip on the rear fender for a drop stand and also it doesn't have cross brace handlebars like the BA67. The ears for the dropstand were separate from the frame on yours and not built in. I don't think the fork is a Schwinn either as it has plates. What a cool bike. I want to paint one with that design on the second color like yours has after seeing it. Some people have all the luck. 8) Gary

B607 said:
I agree with Kingsting that it is a '37 but it's not a BA67. It's a C67. BA67 had a side stand. Yours has the clip on the rear fender for a drop stand and also it doesn't have cross brace handlebars like the BA67. The ears for the dropstand were separate from the frame on yours and not built in. I don't think the fork is a Schwinn either as it has plates. What a cool bike. I want to paint one with that design on the second color like yours has after seeing it. Some people have all the luck. 8) Gary

The chrome chainguard led me to believe it was the BA instead of the C. That could have been added later on the OP's bike. I didn't notice the crossbar on the BA67 at first.

Thanks for the heads up that it's a Schwinn. Surprisingly, I aired up the rear tire and it held! It's actually in pretty good shape. I had to cut the front one off with a hacksaw as it had somehow completely melted into a pile of goo. I slapped a cheap tire on it, oiled it up, and it rode! My original plan was to sell it, but after a trip around the block I'm pretty sure this is a keeper. As of now I plan to sell my Stingray, and then clean this sucker up. Take it apart, regrease everything, buff up the original paint...

kingsting said:
B607 said:

The chrome chainguard led me to believe it was the BA instead of the C. That could have been added later on the OP's bike. I didn't notice the crossbar on the BA67 at first.

And as we all know, most all the parts that make either the BA67 or C67 are interchangeable. The dealer that sold it or the original or subsequent buyers could have swapped parts for a variety of reasons to make it a "hybrid". Whether Kingsting is right or I am, you can take it to the bank that it's a '37 Schwinn. That's all you really need to know unless you're doing a museum restoration or something. And now I'm bummed out you're going to keep it! :cry: Gary

B607 said:
kingsting said:
B607 said:

And as we all know, most all the parts that make either the BA67 or C67 are interchangeable. The dealer that sold it or the original or subsequent buyers could have swapped parts for a variety of reasons to make it a "hybrid". Whether Kingsting is right or I am, you can take it to the bank that it's a '37 Schwinn. That's all you really need to know unless you're doing a museum restoration or something. And now I'm bummed out you're going to keep it! :cry: Gary

Make me an offer I'd be stupid to refuse! I love how it rides and really want to take it apart and clean it, but there's always a price...

Check out the front tire I pulled off, had to cut it off with a hacksaw. Anybody know how long it's been since they've produced red rubber tubes? I still can't figure out how the front melted together into a big mess of rubber and the rear held air once pumped up!

P1020985.jpg

Right now, I'm sure there are Klunker guys out there drooling over the rare frame on this bike. I think this style of double top bar frame was only offered in 1936, 37, and 38. B607, can you confirm this?

kingsting said:
Right now, I'm sure there are Klunker guys out there drooling over the rare frame on this bike. I think this style of double top bar frame was only offered in 1936, 37, and 38. B607, can you confirm this?

King...not sure as I only have catalogs that go back to '37. Sounds right though.

hotfoot...I'm just kidding about buying your bike. I've got all the bikes I need. I haven't bought a bike for at least 10 yrs. My addiction is under control!! I've concentrated on finishing all the project bikes I bought back then and have one or two left to finish...a prewar Schwinn straighbar and an Elgin girls. When these two are finished, I'm finished restoring. Then, I'm gonna RIDE, RIDE, RIDE! Gary

Neat score :D ...I all so like the fact the bike has a story to it...Most bikes come with no History.. :!:

Dad just called to tell me the guy wasn't lieing when he said he was bringing another to rake in customers, he said he drove by today and there is already another out! I'm sending him to go check it out.

Back