UNLIMITED 2-2-1

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You should be able to make a cool seat out of an old skateboard deck from Goodwill

I really didn't have a good idea of where this was going but it's a great mod for that frame. Makes the curves and the proportions just right. I agree with the above comments on the seat. There are some cool motorcycle seat styles that may work too.

Got to looking at the rack off the other bike and thought with a little bit of modifications I could turn this into a back for the seat. Did a little cutting and fitting and got it close just need to do a more fitment. Grinding fish mouths to fit the tubing and such. I also cut the plywood out for the seat just need to find some cushion and something to cover it with.
IMG_20240507_193924574_HDR.jpg

If you have a local thrift store, check out the purses for good soft leather seat material. That has been my go-to for many builds. Also, yoga mats with their high density make great pads! And there are plenty of 'lightly used' ones of those at thrifts also! :grin:

I like the seat back idea. Looks like it has the sliding trombone piece in there as well. If you raise that it would give a cool sissy bar look.

I really like what you are doing with the rack. I've looked at that bike in a box thousands of times in the warehouse and thought "someone could so something with that."
It looks like the welds will be under considerable stress because of leverage, struts at the back down to the dropouts could help triangulate the weight.
Also, if you're not using that seatpost and clamp for a saddle, it would really clean it up to cut it flush with the top tube

I really like what you are doing with the rack. I've looked at that bike in a box thousands of times in the warehouse and thought "someone could so something with that."
It looks like the welds will be under considerable stress because of leverage, struts at the back down to the dropouts could help triangulate the weight.
Also, if you're not using that seatpost and clamp for a saddle, it would really clean it up to cut it flush with the top tube
Yeah got some other stuff that I need to cut off from the rack too. Planning on putting some gussets in front of the dropouts also because of the bends I put there. Also I weigh 155lbs soaking wet.

Thursday I got the seat tube and the stubs left from the rack trimmed down and smoothed out. Got seat base tacked on and got the backrest fitted still need to tack it on.
IMG_20240509_202700399_HDR.jpg

Next I want to make some covers for where the seat will get welded to the top tube so that's what I worked on Saturday after I got off work. I got the piece made for the front and a cardboard template for the back side of it.
IMG_20240511_181607238.jpg

Wanted to tryout a different set of handlebars I have that I have tried on couple different bikes but never felt right on them. Mocked them up flipped and right side up.
IMG_20240511_182354365_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240511_181642129_HDR.jpg

I kinda like them right side up and will try and find the extensions I made for them if not cut the ends off another pair laying around. I also took the plate off but will use the tabs and make a different one or a tank.

Got the backside of the cover for the seat where it mounts to the top bar cut and formed to shape will do a little more when I get more time to get a few tacks to hold it.
IMG_20240513_191433153.jpg

I don't like the dropouts that are on here so I cut some rear load off a kids bike they kinda look like a conehead Pac-Man or the sleestak from Land of the Lost
IMG_20240513_191446535.jpg

I'll just cut off what I don't want off the bike and weld these to the remaining unless I find different ones.

Looking great.
Digging the fishhead dropouts too

Another set of custom drop outs, seeing quite a few of those on builds this year. We should gather up all the photos of dropouts and put them together in one big compilation.

We could call it "Collage Dropouts".

So today I wanted to get the gussets for the rear dropouts cut out so I broke out the grinder with a cut wheel. Traced it out on some cardboard and cut it out then transferred that to some metal then cut that out. Might as well give the fish a tail.
IMG_20240514_193402082_HDR.jpg

Tried a different set of forks I think they came off a modern Schwinn.
IMG_20240514_193953350_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240514_194010220_HDR.jpg

My shop help laying down on the job
IMG_20240514_180306077.jpg

Back