Turtlelady (wifes bike) Finally complete

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
decided to start a post for the bike im building for my wife. Were calling it turtlelady after my wife nickname. It started out life as a western flyer sonic flyer
As I got the bike
westernflyer.jpg

rust1.jpg

cleaned the chrome
rust5.jpg

rust4.jpg

rust2.jpg

rust3.jpg

used rust converter primer first to get in the areas I couldnt when I stripped it
turtlebike.jpg

then coated it with a white primer
turtlebike2.jpg

once its cured Ill sand it again then another coat of primer then ready for paint

Re: Turtlelady (wifes bike)

Great build!! What is that cleaner for the chrome and where did you get it?!? And that was buildoff caliber. Dude...Get ta Buildin'!! Peace

thanks jake, I cleaned it all with glasstop cleaner and a green scrubby pad. I would have been but Ive had it in the works for a while, have to get it done before I start my build off bike but did work on ideas for my build off bike between coats of paint on her bike.

Having a stressful day with the build today. Since the chain desires where the tire sits I have almost no clearance and am having a hard time getting the rim true enough to clear both sidesand for some reason the handle bar neck seems to be at a angle grrrrr. Going to step away from the bike and work on my build bike

What I've done was pulled the rear forks apart and stuck a spare piece of a 2x4 near the seat post to hold that width and pushed the fork back to the correct width for the rim. I hope this makes sense and is what you're asking.

heres an update on turtle lady
tank pieces
tank.jpg

here it is together but still have to spread the frame down by the kickstand
bubblegum.jpg

we started calling it turtlelady as a combo of my wifes nickname and my daughter having a fairlady
but all the kids call it the bubble gum bike

Im going to get better pics of it once I get the frame spread and the bars swapped out, may switch them back once shes rode it some

I had the same frame, AMF from the 60's, I just went with narrower tires, 2.00 instaed of 2.125. I have used a 2 x 4 and hammered in between the frame members up by the kickstand, the squeezed the dropouts back together, but be careful and do it slowly making sure everything is lined up exactly right. The wood should sit right where the tire will. It's all good steel so it should bend and look good.

going to spread it with a wedge with a hub in place, then put a piece where the bottom fender stay is. then touch up the paint

Got the frame spread but before I did i thought it was to nice out not to get a outside pic of it
turtlelady.jpg

and I know some people have been wanting to see the star sprocket so here you go
star.jpg

ended up switching out the handle bars tonight the wife liked the look but didnt like how the first ones fit so I went with a set of wider set that I ended up painting since the chrome wasnt the prettiest
bars.jpg

Back