Looking forward to RRBBO#8

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Peatbog said:
Hey, you got eggnog? Or maybe a comma? :mrgreen:

Anyway, moving on, let's insert more commotion into the equation. The voting thing which has been mentioned concerning people campaigning on facebook and stuff. I don't have facebook or twitter or any of that stuff (I don't even have a cell phone), so that makes it easier to not do any of that and it also keeps my life simpler. But if the voting is a problem, then we could really make it a fun build like people say the main point is anyway by just eliminating the voting. Hark, do I here silence!? Okay, maybe just allow those who have entered a bike to vote. That would eliminate any extraneous mayhem in the voting situation. Or maybe just the builder and their mother could vote. Or only people who start with a girl's frame could vote. And they can vote twice.

But having a GT Ruckus in the build will be cool. We need more BMX bikes in the mix.

I have gone back and forth on this. I do believe social media can affect the outcome. I also think that guys who are in a bicycle club probably vote for their buddies. I think some areas of the country tend to be more bicycle focused, that may affect who votes for which bike. Can I do anything about this? Nope, the only way I can have any affect at all on the outcome is to build the best bike I can with my limited abilities.

I think some votes are cast without the voter ever looking at a build thread. I truly make an effort to read every build thread. Should my vote count more than a casual users vote? Nope, voting is voting regardless how unqualified or uninformed the voter is. The way I see it, the contest helps bring attention to the website. Limiting the voting to builders only wouldn't give a casual browser an incentive to join the site.

Rg

Wackazoidal said:
Not to cause a ruckus since I am more of a observer than anything but it seems wacky you can pay someone to powder coat your bike and pinstripe your bike but if you paint it you have to do it yourself.

If you are looking for any sort of logic or critical thinking on the Internet, you are certainly going to be disappointed. Heck, now motorized two wheel vehicles are being called, "bicycles" After a while you get used to it. :mrgreen:

Peatbog said:
raggedjim said:
Nope, voting is voting regardless how unqualified or uninformed the voter is.

Hey, are you talking about the bike build or the past presidential election? :mrgreen:

I'm going to go with this applying to any political election. No matter who we get, they never cease to disappoint. :roll:

What if a few polls were put up? What this all boils down to is yes its fun but at the same time its a competition. Honestly I don't like the three vote deal at all. Unless it was set up to where first got three, second got two third one. I'd like to see it go back to one vote myself but I'm a keep it simple stupid kinda guy. And I totally agree bout social media and promoting builds. I have over 1000 friends on fb alone but I would never do that.

Peatbog said:
raggedjim said:
Nope, voting is voting regardless how unqualified or uninformed the voter is.

Hey, are you talking about the bike build or the past presidential election? :mrgreen:
No comment...

dogdart, I think it is fun, reading all the threads, and trying to do your best. It wouldn't be fun to me if people didn't try to do their best. My goal is to try to build a better bike than I did last year... Oh, and to place higher than a powder coated bike! :mrgreen:

karfer67 said:
What if a few polls were put up? What this all boils down to is yes its fun but at the same time its a competition. Honestly I don't like the three vote deal at all. Unless it was set up to where first got three, second got two third one. I'd like to see it go back to one vote myself but I'm a keep it simple stupid kinda guy. And I totally agree bout social media and promoting builds. I have over 1000 friends on fb alone but I would never do that.

karfer, your bikes don't have to rely on politics to win, they are awesome and get votes for that reason. One thing about the voting, and then I'm done, I hate the idea that you could possibly be everyone's 4th favorite bike and not get one vote at all. I don't have an answer for it and honestly, looking back at the past buildoffs, I think great bikes do tend to come out on top.

Thanks Jim. Great bikes do end up doing well, but you do raise an interesting note. Why not choose a fourth? Why not a top ten? Yea I'm a trouble maker ;p

karfer67 said:

I noticed last year that people would comment on a bike, but have two posts to their name. If you looked at their previous post, their last post was a comment on the same person's build from last year. That's it...a guy sets up an account for his wife so she can log in once a year and tell him how awesome his are and vote for him! :lol:

Easy solution....only people with at least 50 posts can vote. That means they are an active member of the forum....so you guys who suck and need your wife, mom and six kids to vote for you, you better set up bogus accounts now and start posting! :lol:

depositphotos_5322326-Women-in-stereo-glasses-eating-popcorn..jpg

raggedjim said:
One thing about the voting, and then I'm done, I hate the idea that you could possibly be everyone's 4th favorite bike and not get one vote at all. .
That's what I don't like about the voting system . The current system does pick the top three pretty accurately , but that's all .

Hey we should send our voting idea to the gov. U get to vote for three different people for pres. Lolololol

Like I've said until the rules are written more clearly this will go on every year. It's time

The rules aren't complicated, it's the people reading them!

By the way, I WILL vote for any bike that uses 2 complete 13lb bowling balls as part of their build... It won't be me, but anyone who has the balls to do it deserves my vote.

raggedjim said:
By the way, I WILL vote for any bike that uses 2 complete 13lb bowling balls as part of their build... It won't be me, but anyone who has the balls to do it deserves my vote.

Thanks for the heads up! OH! Also what else will you guys vote for? I'm going to win this build off for all the high prestige,hot women,and prize money, and sponsorship it comes with! What do I need to build to win? Tell me what you guy want me to build so I can have your votes!
THANKS!

Side note. If it will make these guys send me something like this:
occhugskisses.jpg

Even greater bonus!!

Come on people it's just bicycles and after all, Aren't bicycles supposed to be fun?

About the voting... look, I got two votes last year (I didn't vote for myself). It was a bit deflating, but at the same time, the best bikes did win, so I can't complain. I voted for two of the top three. I think the voting system works fine. For guys who ask their wives to sign up, or friends, or campaign on Facebook or whatnot, they'll get something like 5 instead of 2 votes, and it still won't place them. With all the influx this year of new folks from the very successful "RRBOTD" posts on FB, they will be very excited about the idea of participating, even if it's only with votes. We'd be jerks to say that they couldn't participate unless they built, or had a certain number of posts, or whatever. "Senior" members of this website have done a good job of welcoming them, no matter their level of interest in the site. Let them engage at their comfort zone. I don't care if your wife votes. Mine doesn't, I get two votes. The better bikes win.

I'm going for four votes this year, by the way. I'm going to double last year!

At the end of the day I just like building along side you guys and gals. I like it so much maybe ill enter two. (Waits for Peatbog to explode). I might re enter the galt town hooligan since it has basically been taken all apart anyway. Now I do hope the frame rule doesn't get changed since on that one I totally whacked off the top of the seat tube

Peatbog only if u pay me to build the one bike. But I get half the trophy if it wins. Gonna be a sweet unicycle. Think bout the possibilities since anything your doing to it is adding and I mean really. A unicycle has no geometry

IMHO, changing out seat stays from straight to curved would be a DQ with the current rules. Sorry bud, you would automatically lose my vote even if the rules were not enforced.

Peatbog said:
Okay, how about you don't get paid, but you can keep the entire trophy? That way we both win. And I am thinking maybe a tandem unicycle would be the way to go. I'll find another milk crate somewhere and this thing can get started.

What if you built a tandem unicycle, but instead of a two seater, you made it where one guy could ride BOTH unicycles at the same time. Maybe have a seat over the one wheel and then come up with a steering mechanism over the other wheel? Then you could fabricate something to hold it all together. Some sort of frame contraption. Dude....we are so onto something....and rather than a "two wheeled" unicycle, what if we called it a "BI-cycle" as in TWO wheels? :shock:

Latest posts

Back