Looking forward to RRBBO#8

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is 1 new rule this year, if you PM Steve (Rad Rod) with any comments, questions, or concerns about the build-off and you do not put "Build Off" in the title, it will be ignored. Putting "Build Off" in the title insures that Steve knows which ones to delete immediately.

Totally agree with the tire thing. But it has to be set that its ok. I build in the spirit of fun as well. But at the same time this build off has rules like no other and thats what makes it unique. If I were to say how do we fix the frame rule it would be simple. Cant cut anything

yoothgeye said:
Frame mods, hold onto your hats... Here's the way I like it, look at the profile of your frame before you start, then look at it afterwards, if the basic frame looks the same then you did fine. Widening for fat tires, as long as you are not fitting something stupid in there then it's fine, all the rear stay widening I've seen has been so negligible that it most people wouldn't have even noticed it. On my first build off bike I cut the seat tube top so that the clamp would be flat against the top tube, some people cut it completely off and use a wedge style seat clamp, doesn't bother me, frame still looks the same. I also cut a little from the top and bottom of my head tube because the fork I was using had a shorter steer tube, I could've modded my steer tube, but it was just easier to cut and if I hadn't said anything about it, nobody would have noticed. Some people have used dropout extensions to put their wheel further back and make more tire room, but once again, frame looks the same.

This is exactly how I see it. As long as I can look at it, and I can still see the frame, as it originally was, I'm fine with widening, weld-on extensions, adding pieces, whatever. If you put on several inches of drop outs, but all the tubes are in their original location (I say this as an opinion that I have always had, though I should say in full disclosure that I am considering this for my bike come May), then it's okay. If you cut and lengthen those rear tubes to get your stretch, then you can't see the original profile, and the rules have been broken.

That's MHO on those rules. As to the rest, I see each build as a statement of that builder's skills. A calling card. If he can powder coat, let him! If he has a professional painting booth, let him! If he can pin stripe, let him! I think it's all about the builder. If I can't pin stripe, I shouldn't be allowed to get my bike pin striped. If I can't powder coat, I shouldn't be allowed to let someone do it for me.

There are even exceptions to this. I mean, if a builder needs to go to a LBS to get a wheel laced, that seems okay to me. But overall, I think that a builder should use his (or her!) skill set for his (or her!) bike. I can weld, so I will weld. My painting skills are atrocious, so I know that my bike will suffer a bit for that. That's the way it is.

Don't feel bad I am horrible with a rattle can too. I have no concept of waiting between coats at all. Which is odd since I am a pinstriper. I guess I would like to see the playing field level thats all I care about. Actually my biggest thing I would like to see changed is no promotion of a build outside this forum. I will be honest I do think it influenced voting in the past. This build off should be exclusive to here.

Rat Rod said:
Don't yall have some presents to wrap or something? :lol:

Merry Christmas Steve!

I'm holding off on thinking about rules for the build off in May for a bit. I've got 100 shirts to pack up and ship this week.

Y'all can chat about it all you'd like, just don't expect any decisions or input from me for a while. ;)

Peatbog said:
If you take the krate, where will he keep the bunnies? They will be everywhere again. Man, I ain't havin' nothing to do with this. I'll get banned.

I need the Krate to finish my ultra rare Zucchini Picker restoration

No bunnies allowed!!!
Foxes are what this group of wild and crazy guys need for 2013.

PX00103_91.jpg

I killed all of my bunnies from BO7 and made a hat out of them.

IMG_0377.jpg

I know I'm beating a dead horse here but...
Allow powder coating,pinstriping and custom paint! Heck just do an anything goes build off. Oh by the way I do custom paint,frames,tanks,bars,seat posts,wheels,pinstriping,welding,metal finishing,designing,etc.,etc.,etc.! :wink:
I have chemo bills that need paid! Get it done BEFORE the build off starts and it's all legal!
Right?!?

bike2112 said:
So, If you do all the work yourself and the geometry of the frame is essentially kept intact, isn't pretty much an anything goes if you do it yourself and the frame geometry stays essentially intact and you do all the work yourself while not changing the geometry of the frame and your work is performed by yourself with the same geometry?

I have some purple krate left over. anyone need some?

Best comment of the thread.

Maybe the year.

bike2112 said:
So, If you do all the work yourself and the geometry of the frame is essentially kept intact, isn't pretty much an anything goes if you do it yourself and the frame geometry stays essentially intact and you do all the work yourself while not changing the geometry of the frame and your work is performed by yourself with the same geometry?

I have some purple krate left over. anyone need some?

As long as you don't change the geometry of the frame and do all the work yourself, I think you've got it.

Back