NERRB 60-mile Gluteus Maximus Buster Ride Farmington, CT Sunday July 20

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Ok boys and girls, it’s time for us to Put-Up or Shut-Up and run our bodies and bikes into the ground! ;)

This ride should last about (insert your time approximation) hours; it'll be a blast, an all day and into night(?) ride!

Meet-up Time: 9:00 AM
Meet-up Place: Tunxis Mead Park, Farmington, CT
GPS: Intersection>Farmington, CT>Tunxis Mead Dr.>Red Oak Hill Rd.
go north apx. 500' to the baseball parking lot

Last edited:
I'm in so lets go:41:!!,just funning you guys{and girls} don't take it to heart please!!!,hope you smiled with the old maid bikers,I'll just be bringing extra hairspray,for flats:113:!!We'll have to start in Farmington to do the round trip and do the 60.:eek:!!

:crazy: Golly geez, we gonna do this ,here's my to do list ...
1.Apply for waiver of CT bike ride start times.:13:
2.Post date on the family calender:rofl:
3.Keep on eye on the weather forecast:dance2:
4.Choose my ride carefully.distance cap.,comfort,looks,etc:cool2:
5.Renew AAA membership:dontmentionit:
Okay, rats, lets give it a go...Stevil

I hope whatever date is picked I can go. Cuz a 50+ miler on a bike that shouldn't be ridden more than 10 is on my bucket list.

ya, picking the right bike (#4) is the most important. The Monark seat was not kind from mile 15 to mile 20 last ride. The Seminole might be the better choice, but that old hard Brooks might misbehave too. If I get the drivetrain sorted on the B09 Berkshire, maybe that will be the bike. Or maybe now that the Western Flyer isn't pogo-ing anymore, it's the bike (seat is a bit low though). Decisions, decisions.

Last edited:
Ride comfort and cadence are unquestionably important. A comfy seat, hydration, pasta loading the day before and tools w/spare tires…

#4 on your to-do list is key, Steve! Thanks for the heads-up!

Ian, I can empathize with your decisions decisions point.

I think I’ll go with “The Nutcracker” because of the comfy banana seat, upright seating position, 2-speed kickback hub and 700X28C tires pressurized to 100psi.

I would suggest a Saturday ride so Sunday can be a rest day before going back to work but ill go with majority decision

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Being that I'v run high miles on the chops and and older heaps over the years I'v learned a few things and they are important:
1]your bike must be set up for you and that means that your leg should have a slight bend at the knees at the bottom of a full stroke of the pedals--thats imperative!!
2]The seat should be a wide cruiser style saddle that disperses the weight evenly and not to firm--once again imperative.
3]Leg cramping WILL GET YOU!!!!!,bring Naproxem sodium or equiv and take it before you leave on a full hearty breakfast and extra for the trip,this will help reduce the amount of swelling in your legs and elsewhere and make for a more comfortable ride --imperative!!Tonic water with quinnine in your water bottles, quinine helps to alleviate symptons of cramping,thats why I hit a few J&T's on the trail bars too:43:!Theres also an over the counter med called "LegCramps"capulets,very good to have in the bag!!!
4]Tools-- I always bring a small can of bike fix a flat found at Wmart along with a tool bag containing air pump,small pack of mechanic hand wipes & small rag and the usual array of bike hand tools.
5]Small first aid kit and I'm not talking a few bandaids bring something can actually cover some hamburger if something bad happens!!
Oh by the way do I get a headstart pulling my SnapOn tool chest--Steve is going:grin: gonna need to step up the toolbox a bit:rolleyes:!!
Hope this helps everyone,I'd like this to be a memorable GOOD time for everyone:):thumbsup:Oh yeah forgot to mention the Aquanet hairspray again,Oh dear silly me!!:crazy:

Last edited:
Joel, your point is reasonable – after a ride like this our bodies will need a period of recovery – I support your idea and will also go on consensus.

Steve, if 9A is too early a start time then it’ll be moved back an hour to 10A; IMHO, anything later this for a ride this long could have us riding into the night, an unacceptable proposition if a breakdown occurs 15-20-miles away from the Meet-up.

And finally, a bit of Geezer Wisdom: In order to avoid BONKING, drink before you’re thirsty and eat before you’re hungry.

The day isn’t final yet; we’re developing a conscious, if the majority decides upon Sunday, then Sunday it’ll be. However, some of us do occasionally work on Saturdays and that is reason for consideration.

ZL,you called it,July 13 is a Sunday ,9 am is fine and that's when
I wanna go.With all this prep Monday shouldn't be too bad...Stevil

Cool, Steve, Sunday July, 13th at 9AM it'll be.

I’m an idiot – July, 13th is my wife’s birthday – would it be alright with all of you to move it ahead one week to Sunday July, 20th? :oops:

:blush::crazy2::20::agree:ZL ,what are we gonna do with you?? Or without you?
What's your Wife doing on the 13th?
Yea,I'm okay for the 20th....Stevil
PS: There is an edit option when posting.:dontmentionit:

Hope you guys realize that to get in the 60 mi we will have to start at Tunxis Meade Park parking lot in Farmington this is the furthest point south on the trail and runs up north to Westfield Mass and then ends but we should be able to spin it in Southwick to give us our goal,my speedo/odo will be working!! :showingbiceps::dance2::cool2:
Note: Wmart carries an adjustable water bottle cage for about $9 that expands to accommodate 32 fl.oz or one quart beverages containers--works for me,check em out!

Last edited:
July 20th will work for me unless my wife takes it off. Which she's been doing lately. She normally works 7 days a week, but is burning out and has begun getting coverage on Sundays so we get time together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:blush::crazy2::20::agree:ZL ,what are we gonna do with you?? Or without you?
Steve, I don't even know what to do with me! :confused:
Hope you guys realize that to get in the 60 mi we will have to start at Tunxis Meade Park parking lot in Farmington
How does everyone feel about his idea? Would starting there get us to where we want to go? Finally, where exactly is this park so that we can all be on the same page?

Just finished some research on Maps:

Why not start in Simsbury; its closer to Southwick and will lead us to Northampton (should we decide to go that far).

Tunxis Meade Park will add extra miles and besides, we all know where the Plan B Burger Bar parking lot is on Railroad St.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back