█ Flex★Liner⑦ █ TWINFLEX SPACELINER BUILD THREAD - Aug8 - SOLD

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Flex{\\\}Liner 7 TwinFlex Spaceliner 6/10 Shaken Not Stirred

kingfish254 said:
I just had a flashback moment.
The finned wing eagle hood ornament that I cut up came from a 54 Chevy.
Well, I just remembered that one of the first hot rod models that I actually customized with other model parts was a 54 Chevy Highboy just like this one.
Guess I am reliving my childhood. But of course, my wife keeps telling me to grow up.

54chevyhighboy-h-1375.jpg
This is why we are brothers! I still build models. We grew up on them. I even did the balsa wood planes. This is what kids need today-hobbies. Do not grow up B-oh and they are Action Figures!! HaHa

char said:
Love what your doing with this bike Kingfish! The frame is so cool and the idea with the shaker with the wings is just genius! Keep up the great work dude :D

Thanks man!!! I really appreciate that.

Working late so no spaceship work tonight. Here is what I am thinking for the spaceship springer.

Cover the upper 2/3 of the springer assembly just like the Vienna sausage can (yes, sad to see it go).

WP_001770.jpg

With this (cut off at the upper edge of the masking tape and tapering the trailing edges of the wings to meet at the cut).

WP_001825.jpg

Then cutting the remaining missile part of the jet hoodie in half.
Mounting the tail fin section behind the springer assembly at the back bracket.
and then mounting the nose cone section somewhere in front of the seatpost.

WP_001806.jpg

Can you guys picture that??? It is clear in my mind. I just need the time to do it.
Even the springer U-Arm will sorta look like curved landing fins (I think).

Jake Sensi said:
This is why we are brothers! I still build models. We grew up on them. I even did the balsa wood planes. This is what kids need today-hobbies. Do not grow up B-oh and they are Action Figures!! HaHa

Love it bro!!!! I even used to have an old suitcase that I kept spare model parts and broken down models in. Starting with the 54 Chevy Highboy, I would use odd parts and pieces on other models. Hmmmmmm, sounds familiar don't it??????

Do you remember how big the model aisle was at K-Mart (pre Wally world)???? Do they even have models in Wally World?

Action figures huh??? Okay, we'll call 'em action figures. :wink: :p :lol:
At least you haven't broken out the Cabbage Patch "Action Figures" yet!!!!!!! :D

I just saw you're doing the hood ornament thing too :lol: , great minds...
kingfish254 said:
With this (cut off at the upper edge of the masking tape and tapering the trailing edges of the wings to meet at the cut).
WP_001825.jpg

Then cutting the remaining missile part of the jet hoodie in half.
Mounting the tail fin section behind the springer assembly at the back bracket.
and then mounting the nose cone section somewhere in front of the seatpost.

Can you guys picture that??? It is clear in my mind. I just need the time to do it.
Even the springer U-Arm will sorta look like curved landing fins (I think).

Sorry Dude but I can't quite picture it but it sounds cool. Maybe a couple more different angle shots will straighten me out
As long as it's clear in your head, that's all that matters. I'll just have to wait :wink:

I was a HUGE model car and airplane geek (my dad flew them in competitions).

I had all the Chevy coupes from 1954-1958, built them 'stock' and custom. Used to make little plastic blocks to raise the leaf springs, would invert and flip the front spindles to lower the fronts, even cut little pieces of wire/tubing and glued them in as spark plug wires. It goes on from there to 'paneling' the insides of Chevy vans and Ford Econolines.....I think we were ALL separated at birth!

Build on brothers from other mothers, bikes, cars, models, whatever takes you to your 'happy place' :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Dr. T

Peatbog said:
kingfish254 said:
The finned wing eagle hood ornament that I cut up came from a 54 Chevy.

Oh man, I had that '54 Chevy kit! I recently purchased a 1959 Chevy El Camino kit to put together. I love the '59 Chevy's.

Maybe we built those 54's about the same time in Carlise, PA. :)

Dr. Tankenstein said:
I think we were ALL separated at birth!

Build on brothers from other mothers, bikes, cars, models, whatever takes you to your 'happy place' :mrgreen:

Hello all you happy people!

droopy_happy.jpg

MplsCoaster said:
I just saw you're doing the hood ornament thing too :lol: , great minds...

Sorry Dude but I can't quite picture it but it sounds cool. Maybe a couple more different angle shots will straighten me out
As long as it's clear in your head, that's all that matters. I'll just have to wait :wink:

If it comes like I am thinking, I think you will dig it!!!

Dr. Tankenstein said:
I was a HUGE model car and airplane (my dad flew them in competitions).

I had all the Chevy coupes from 1954-1958, built them 'stock' and custom. Used to make little plastic blocks to raise the leaf springs, would invert and flip the front spindles to lower the fronts, even cut little pieces of wire/tubing and glued them in as spark plug wires. It goes on from there to 'paneling' the insides of Chevy vans and Ford Econolines.....I think we were ALL separated at birth!

Cheers,
Dr. T
Thanks for those words Doc. Peace

Jake Sensi said:
Dr. Tankenstein said:
I was a HUGE model car and airplane (my dad flew them in competitions).

Cheers,
Dr. T
Thanks for those words Doc. Peace

Me too! I did hate that that 54 was molded in the orange plastic though!

Kingfish: The build is lookin awesome! 8)

pick said:
Kingfish: The build is lookin awesome! 8)

Thanks Pick. If I could get to the point of removing the Coppertone it would look even better. :)

Got home after working at the office really late and went out to the shop and took a couple of photos.

Here is where I am thinking of putting the spaceship nose cone.

WP_001829.jpg

And here for the tail fin

WP_001828.jpg

And this horrible BORG Collective of the three piece will make my spaceship springer. :shock: :shock:
Trust me, it's gotta look better than this!!! :D

spaceship.jpg

Man, that hodge podge photo isn't helping me visualize this at all. That's okay, it's clear as Guinness in my head!!

Did you say spaceship springer?? :) :) I think your idea is a good one. You will dial it in and make it look like it belongs there!
E4-041.jpg

LOL, that looks more like a SeaDoo springer, so hopefully mine will be a little differnt.

I am thnking about doing the wings in anodized red just like my buddy Marvin.

12822894398496.jpg

Full suspension bike nice.

PeterBuilt said:
Full suspension bike nice.

Thanks pete, It flexes about right in the test rig. I think it will do well riding too. That's the plan anyway! 8)

Peatbog said:
That is a cool Marvin picture you have there!

Thanks Peat, I would rather have that cool rocket "doodad" that you have!!!!

kingfish254 said:
Peatbog said:
That is a cool Marvin picture you have there!

Thanks Peat, I would rather have that cool rocket "doodad" that you have!!!!

Me too, and I don't even know what it is!

Re: Flex{\\\}Liner 7 TwinFlex 6/12 Do You Hear Me Major Tom?

Worked a little late tonight as well, but still had some daylight when I got home.

Started working on my Spaceship springer idea.

First cut down stainless cocktail shaker and drilled a hole for the springer bolt.

Then I removed those hunks of coppertone angle iron and mocked up the real rear suspension arms again.

Assembled the new cocktail spring cover with wings.

WP_001830.jpg

WP_001831.jpg

Then I cut the tailfin section off of the missile section of the smaller hood ornament and mocked it to the rear of the temp springer bracket (man it was hot even with gloves).

WP_001832.jpg

WP_001833.jpg

Back