█ Flex★Liner⑦ █ TWINFLEX SPACELINER BUILD THREAD - Aug8 - SOLD

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: █ Flex★Liner⑦ █ TwinFlexSpaceliner 7/1 Lotta Work Done

kingfish254 said:
raggedjim said:
King, I agree, the smaller wings look better to me.

My wife says we are coming to your house for vacation, see you soon! :mrgreen:

Rg

She must like my wife's courtyard garden that is just outside of my carriage house workshop. It's funny everytime I pull up one of bike photos out there, my wife looks right past the bike and talks about the greenery.

WP_001948.jpg

Funkme has the best workshop view though!!!!!

:lol: Your wife knows how to tweak you....At least you both have hobbies,bike is lookin great...

Re: █ Flex★Liner⑦ █ TwinFlexSpaceliner 7/1 Lotta Work Done

Went out to my shop tonight and saw this cool little dude resting on a big elephant ear. Not a bad shot for a cell phone camera.
WP_002068.jpg

WP_0020692.jpg

Re: █ Flex★Liner⑦ █ TwinFlexSpaceliner 7/2 Dogleg question

You may have noticed that I haven't had my AMF Star chainring on lately. I really want to use it with the only dogleg crank that I have. It mounted to the dogleg fine with the drive side bearing cone that was with the dogleg. The dogleg didn't have the left side cone or lock nut, but I figured I could use most any one that I had. WRONG. Every one I tried won't quite thred on right. I can't see any thread issues on it any where.

I have never dealt with dogleg cranks before. Do they typically have a diferent TPI thread than more modern one piece cranks?

WP_002065.jpg

WP_002066.jpg

I've encountered a similar problem, and my dad just re tapped the nut & race for me because I broke the locknut, and the bearing was welded with rust to the old race. The chrome was good on the dogleg surprisingly.

I've had the issue also, I think I found some website at the time that explained it as a pitch diameter problem before everything was standardized ISO/SAE whatever. IIRC it was an Imperial versus English thread pitch diameter difference, you can get a turn or two and that's it..

Bikes lookin real good. Think that little green dude came by for a ride on that beast of yours. :mrgreen:

One piece cranks either have 24 threads/inch or 28 threads/inch. Try your local bike shop, before you damage the threads, or use a thread pitch gauge that usually comes w/ a tap and die set.

bikejunky said:
One piece cranks either have 24 threads/inch or 28 threads/inch. Try your local bike shop, before you damage the threads, or use a thread pitch gauge that usually comes w/ a tap and die set.

I measured mine last night and it has 18 threads over 0.75 inches which translates to 24 TPI. That is the same for the more modern locknuts and bearing cones I tried, but I think there is some slight difference with some older doglegs. Don't worry, I am not going to force anything on the threads.

kingfish254 said:
Don't worry, I am not going to force anything on the threads.

Yeah but how will you know if you don't try? :mrgreen:

tanksalot said:
Do you know What kind of bike was your crank was on originally ??
If you know that some one may be able to help you .. Maybe even me.. :D

Tanks, I really don't know. I got this in a parts trade with mikesbikes36 and have sent him a PM if he knows what brand it was.
Any idea how to tell?

I'll take a look tonight if there are any markings on the crank.

I just ordered this laid back seat post from Pirate Cycles. The price seems right at $25 (including shipping).
Not sure if I will go this route on Flexy, but who knows.

It looks good on Saverio's bike too. (viewtopic.php?f=34&t=59031&p=568353#p568353)

http://www.piratecycles1.com/laybasepo.html

yhst-10337746512064_2213_13817813

On another different topic. I like the way the eagle truss brace came out, but after bike2112 said something about a Schwinn crown plate, I started thinking, why didn't I use a Schwinn fork for the brace?

Hmmmmm, I think I still have the 78 Typhoon fork from the donor bike to BEER RUN.

Photo_84989E63-8AE1-DBD0-02F0-B232DACE3128.jpg

What do you think?

WP_002052.jpg

the bunnies have been fed. LOL

Here are some more photos of the dogleg crank.
On one side it has "48" and what looks to be a "C" with a "MF" inside of it.
On the other side it has an "8" stamped in the center.

Does that help anyone identify what I need for this crank???? ANY help is appreciated.!!!!

WP_002070.jpg

WP_002071.jpg

WP_002075.jpg

Re: █ Flex★Liner⑦ █ TwinFlexSpaceliner 7/4 Full Mockups + Ride

It's seemed so long since my last shakedown ride, plus I really wanted to get the bike put back together and out of the shop so that I could see the total picture of how the front end worked with the bike.

I decided not to weld the rear springer neck brace to the seatpost. It fits pretty well and just needed a shim. My dad had an old set of feeler gauges around. Man these are great for shims. It took me 3 tries before I found the right size.

WP_002076.jpg

WP_002077.jpg

Got the wheels back on and started taking some full photos.

Chainguard and no light
WP_002080.jpg

WP_002083.jpg

WP_002084.jpg

With light mock up

WP_002085.jpg

WP_002086-1.jpg

WP_002087.jpg

WP_002088.jpg

WP_002089-1.jpg

WP_002090.jpg

WP_002091.jpg

WP_002092.jpg

WP_002093.jpg

WP_002094.jpg

WP_002095.jpg

WP_002096.jpg

While I was doing mockups, I figured I needed to play with the wings again and try to decide on their positon.

I am still keeping the 54 Chevy wings mounted near the original dropouts.

I am still playing around with the 54 Ford wings. I had originally planned to put them on the cocktail shaker spring hood, but I think they would work better on the rear suspension arms.

WP_002097.jpg

WP_002099.jpg

WP_002101.jpg

WP_002104.jpg

WP_002106.jpg

From some angles the 53 Ford wings looked cool but you couldn't even see them from the side. Then I decided to try them as fins. I like this look much better!!

WP_002107.jpg

WP_002108.jpg

WP_002109.jpg

Okay enough mockup fun, I really needed to get this baby on the road for a true ride with no tie wraps and no worries of pieces falling apart!!!!

I stripped off the wings, and light, and foil tape and of course had to strap on my trusty "water" bottle space modulator level indicator.

WP_002110.jpg

WP_002113.jpg

Stopped off at our new "World of Beer" bar for a refill (or two) of my "level indicator"

WP_002114.jpg

Had to go by this art gallery. The large house painting that you can see through the door is of our 1873 house. A local artist decided to paint it recently. We almost bought it, but we just didn't find the right place in our house for it.

WP_002116.jpg

This is my favorite pic from the ride

WP_002111.jpg

Back