█ Flex★Liner⑦ █ TWINFLEX SPACELINER BUILD THREAD - Aug8 - SOLD

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: █ Flex★Liner⑦ █ TwinFlex 7/26 Red-rum FRAME PAINT Un-Masked

Here it goes. The unmasking of the painted frame. I still need to clean up some tape residue, but it's looking pretty darn sweet if you ask me!!!!!

WP_000028.jpg

WP_000029.jpg

WP_000030.jpg

WP_000031.jpg

WP_000022.jpg

WP_000023.jpg

WP_000027.jpg

I just had to try some of the other parts partially on there as well.

WP_000033.jpg

WP_000034.jpg

WP_000036.jpg

WP_000037.jpg

WP_000038.jpg

WP_000040.jpg

WP_000039.jpg

OKAY, IT"S REALLY GONNA BE FUN FROM HERE ON OUT!!!!!!!!

It's been a blast to watch some of the other builds get to that re-assembly phase. Now I am getting there.

This is why we do what we do!!!!!!!

IBJ2B!!!!!!!!!!

Wait, I thought you weren't painting it today? Oh well, looks nice, very crisp start/stop points.

yoothgeye said:
Wait, I thought you weren't painting it today? Oh well, looks nice, very crisp start/stop points.

I wasn't going to but decided to heck with it. It needed to get done and it turned out even better than I thought!!!!!!

Dr. Tankenstein said:
WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! 7X WOW!

This is gonna be AWESOME!

Cheers,
Dr. T

Thanks Tank! I didn't even think of painting the lower twin tubes until about a week ago. Looking at it now, it seems so obvious!!!

Man I like your paint scheme, can't wait to see the bike together.
Kenny

Nice touch on the frame! Never would have thought to do that!

Schweet!

Peatbog said:
Oooooo, that looks sweet. Man, that will be super sweet out in the sun.

Thanks PB, it does shine in the sun really well, the chrome is looking sweet too.

kensmurray said:
Man I like your paint scheme, can't wait to see the bike together.

Thanks Kenny, I see you have a painted spaceliner and a chrome spaceliner. Now I have both in one bike. I can't wait to get it together iether, but I do need to let the frame paint cure at least a little bit.

brett4christ said:
Nice touch on the frame! Never would have thought to do that! Schweet!

Thanks Brett, like I said, I didn't come up with the idea until about a week ago. VERY glad that I did though.

Gold Street Customs said:
GET TO BUILDING!!!!! :lol: :lol:

LOL, IMA TRYIN TO !!!!!!!!!!

justride said:
Looking great - love the red. This is going to be a great looking ride!

Thanks JR, I think it's gonna look pretty sweet myself. I can't wait to get all of the parts together again and see how they all play with/against each other.

Just enough color looks right!!! Keep up the good work times runnin out!!

Hey B! Ya gonna make some of these cats feel like Charlie Brown on halloween. You got a kool light,chainguard,color and nice tires....(Slackers)...I gotta Rock! :lol:

FatBoy said:
Just enough color looks right!!! Keep up the good work times runnin out!!

Thanks man.
TICK TOCK TICK TOCK
Times a wastin and I need to Gitmazz Buildin!!!!

Jake Sensi said:
Hey B! Ya gonna make some of these cats feel like Charlie Brown on halloween. You got a kool light,chainguard,color and nice tires....(Slackers)...I gotta Rock! :lol:

Yo Jake, you forgot about cool 1939 rear springer suspension and 1940s beehive springer and 54 Chevy/53 Ford hood ornament and Nexus 7 hub with muscle bike shifter and....................

BEWARE THE GREAT PUMPKIN!!!!

If you haven't guessed, I REALLY like how my paint turned out.

WP_000034.jpg

That Metalcast red looks awesome on there. That's the same thing I used on handlebars on last year's bike. Word of warning though (if no one else pointed it out) - it scratches really easy. Even with scuffing up the surface and using their clear adhesion promoter, now a year later (and a lot of riding the bike everywhere), the bar paint is pretty rough looking. The paint system works better on non-plated surfaces that can be properly prepped, sprayed with the silver base "GroundCoat", top coated with the color, then clearcoated. Or at least that's my experience, I've used in four of the different colors so far. So handle that frame with care!

expjawa said:
That Metalcast red looks awesome on there. That's the same thing I used on handlebars on last year's bike. Word of warning though (if no one else pointed it out) - it scratches really easy. Even with scuffing up the surface and using their clear adhesion promoter, now a year later (and a lot of riding the bike everywhere), the bar paint is pretty rough looking. The paint system works better on non-plated surfaces that can be properly prepped, sprayed with the silver base "GroundCoat", top coated with the color, then clearcoated. Or at least that's my experience, I've used in four of the different colors so far. So handle that frame with care!

Rick, thanks for the voice of experience!!!!
Most of the other parts, I did with the GroundCoat.
I hadn't planned on clear coating anything. I guess maybe I should.

There is just SO much coolness here...First off, one of my two favorite frames of all time! I dream one day of having a Space-Liner...but then you have done so much to it that the awesomeness is overwhelming. From the details painted on the chain wheel to the headlight to the paint job to the double springers! I just can't wait to see this one finished!

kingfish254 said:
Rick, thanks for the voice of experience!!!!
Most of the other parts, I did with the GroundCoat.
I hadn't planned on clear coating anything. I guess maybe I should.

The trouble is, paint, generally & historically, doesn't adhere to chrome plating well. It's a bite issue, the surface is too smooth for paint to get a grip on. You can, of course, try to rough up the chrome surface, but you loose the mirror-like attribute. Even old chrome that's dulled and has been sanded some is tough to paint.

Clearcoating helps if it can deflect impact or potential scratches, but it's dependant on adhering to the paint, which is in turn depending on adhering to the surface. If the foundation is poor, the house can still collapse. That's why the paint-up process of priming, ground coat, tint coat and clear coat on a non-polished surface works. The primer (especially self-etching) provides a solid foundation. I really don't think that Duplicolor did anything significant to promote the adhesion of the Metalcast line to polished or chrome surfaces.

At the end of the day, paint can't get it's hooks into a very smooth surface. That's why I elected to give the aluminum panels on my build bike a brushed-finish rather than attempt to polish them before spraying the green. On chrome, you really have two choices - handle with care and mimize usage, or accept that it will scratch and say the heck with it...

Gotcha, well this is gonna be a rider, so I will just live with any "character" scuffs it gets and maybe occasionally do some touch up. I can live with that, because I think the coolness factor of the bike will overide scuffs. :mrgreen:

I just need to make sure I handle it with kids gloves until I am done with finished entry photos.

Back