☆★☆BIG JIM☆★☆ BUILD THREAD RRB-BO#8 A.G. 2013 (1ST PLACE)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: ☆★☆Ꭼsє LᎾ₡Ꮎ JᎾKᎬЯ!☆★☆ RRBO#8. REAR END MOCKED.

LukeTheJoker said:
Go ZZ Top! :mrgreen:

Got the rear end welded up, took some adjusting but got it all straight and level eventually, then mocked the seat up...

Had to shorten the top stay on one side by 3mm (1/8th) did the Uncle Stretch trick and got the weld ground down close with the grinder and finished with a file, worked out really nice!

9149721021_843b7dacc2.jpg

9151827620_79597b5655.jpg

9151827700_22e0eafb64.jpg

9151827762_e95f04ddb8.jpg

Looked good till I sat on it, that pic is with it all the way down... Decided it needed to be lower... Out came the grinder to cut the tacks, a little re-welding and...

9151827890_20ae1f5365.jpg

9151827852_bbb8123a34.jpg

9151827932_c177e30fcc.jpg

9149720859_f0b9e771ac.jpg

Looks much better! :mrgreen:

Ready for welding!

9149720949_f41a64dd03.jpg

Designed some interesting forks today, see how they turn out next time... :wink:

Luke.

Luke to bad you live down under because that Bad Boy is just screaming I need a engine put in me... :mrgreen:

Re: ☆★☆Ꭼsє LᎾ₡Ꮎ JᎾKᎬЯ!☆★☆ RRBO#8. REAR END & SEAT DONE!

kingfish254 said:
Seeing you on this beastie really gives a true sense of the stance and scale of this bad boy.
:mrgreen: Yep! And don't forget, I am on the wrong side of 6 foot 4, and 220 pounds...

Uncle Stretch said:
Luke your build is really turning out awesome. The added work with an out of the
box frame design has paid off. :wink:
Thanks Uncle Stretch! :D

dracothered said:
Luke to bad you live down under because that Bad Boy is just screaming I need a engine put in me... :mrgreen:
With you there Dracothered! Shame about the laws over here... :|

Luke.

Re: ☆★☆Ꭼsє LᎾ₡Ꮎ JᎾKᎬЯ!☆★☆ RRBO#8. GOOD NEWS!

Figured with the seat and rear tire mounted up, I could have a sit on the bike and see what it would be like to lean it around corners, turns out it is really easy and should not be a problem at all! :D Big relief for me! I was starting to think it would end up more of a show piece than a rider, but that may no longer be the case!

It may still be a bit awkward and unwieldy at slow speeds but I suspect once you are moving it will ride fine...

I am a happy man!

Probably wont be getting much work done till Monday now, got a wedding etc, to attend over the weekend. Nice that it worked out that the wedding of one of my close friends growing up was planned for while we are up here in Darwin!

Luke.

LukeTheJoker said:
Go ZZ Top! :mrgreen:

Got the rear end welded up, took some adjusting but got it all straight and level eventually, then mocked the seat up...

Had to shorten the top stay on one side by 3mm (1/8th) did the Uncle Stretch trick and got the weld ground down close with the grinder and finished with a file, worked out really nice!

Luke.

Luke

Have you seen these ?

http://www.screwfix.com/search.do?fh_search=flap+discs&fh_view_size=20

Save a lot of hand filing , they come in various grits.

Paul

stormbird said:
Luke

Have you seen these ?

http://www.screwfix.com/search.do?fh_search=flap+discs&fh_view_size=20

Save a lot of hand filing , they come in various grits.

Paul
Yep, got one of them with me Stormbird! Use it all the time! That is what I usually use for things like that, but while the flap disc is far quicker and less effort, the results of a handfile are hard to argue with... Just depends on how I am feeling which one I use.

Thanks for the heads up, if I had not seen them before, I would be getting one now and trying it out! :wink:

Luke.

Re: ☆★☆Ꭼsє LᎾ₡Ꮎ JᎾKᎬЯ!☆★☆ RRBO#8. BAR DECISIONS?

I vote for low slung bars 8)

kingfish254 said:
I would at least try out the apes. Take a look at the Joker bike here and over on the Ape Hangers thread to get a feel for it.
:arrow: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Axtf6bUYgLs
:arrow: viewtopic.php?f=70&t=25924&p=720808#p720808
That is one cool ride! Thanks for sharing that KingFish!
I notice he is running tires with a fairly flat tread and having no worries leaning through the corners too!

Got some thinking to do...

Luke.

I think a kind of hybrid between hapes and cruiser handlebars would be cool
hybridhapescruser_zps1d6a32e8.jpg

a wide base like this
KINGKONG175.jpg

and the grips part longer and at a smaller angle like this
MICCB-2.jpg

I love the build so far and I am sure what ever you pick will look awesome, but I think a V shaped set of bars sitting on a triple tree style front assembly would look sweet!!

$%28KGrHqFHJEQFC1Y23KpSBQzSTiOd%28!~~60_35.JPG

ThatGuy said:
I love the build so far and I am sure what ever you pick will look awesome, but I think a V shaped set of bars sitting on a triple tree style front assembly would look sweet!!

$%28KGrHqFHJEQFC1Y23KpSBQzSTiOd%28!~~60_35.JPG
:shock: Wow! Those would suit the bike really nicely! :mrgreen:
Thanks ThatGuy!

No progress to report on the bike, been just too worn out to do metalwork. Have been thrashing around drivetrain ideas with "Big Jim" got that all sorted now, ordered a mini motorbike brake set up for it, give the bike for more braking force, going to a 210x3mm rotor with a mechanical calliper.

Was going to build the forks today, but just not up to it, shame, it is a beautiful day outside too!

Luke.

OneHorsePower said:
I think a kind of hybrid between hapes and cruiser handlebars would be cool
hybridhapescruser_zps1d6a32e8.jpg

a wide base like this
KINGKONG175.jpg

and the grips part longer and at a smaller angle like this
MICCB-2.jpg
Those are very cool 1HP! Thinking the V bars "ThatGuy" posted currently though...
Too many choices...

Luke.

Don't want to give you too much work :roll: , but what about bars the shape of those V bars, but built to match your forks. Not sure what you have settled on for your forks, but if it's the drilled I-beam look, doing that on bars would be cool too.

I am 100% positive that whatever you choose will be perfect :D

Glen said:
I am 100% positive that whatever you choose will be perfect :D
You have more confidence in me than I do! :lol:

Luke.

Back