$10.70 Goodwill Murray

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a matching pair of these Murray bikes last year at our local Goodwill for $9.99 each ($10.70 with tax). They had been used very little but needed tires and tubes. I converted both bikes to single speeds with freewheel and took all the decals off. The rims were a dull black so I sprayed the complete rims and spokes on this bike with Krylon red anodized paint which made the black rims look shinny with a hint of red. I really liked the way the wheels turned out. I installed new 26" x 1.75" tires and tubes and added the surfing girl sticker to the front. It was a very quick and easy build and when I sold the bike the buyer loved it.

I didn't paint the wheels on the second bike but did install 26" x 1.25" solid white tires.
pd1070eaYuleeGoodwill.jpg

pd999plustaxea.jpg

1Murray.jpg

6-3.jpg

7-3.jpg

8.jpg

3-3.jpg

new3.jpg

Nice updates. That annodize paint looks perfect. I forsee a problem with the paint on the rims and brakes

Don't screw up that paint - just drag your feet! :mrgreen:

cman said:
Nice updates. That annodize paint looks perfect. I forsee a problem with the paint on the rims and brakes
No problem at all with the anodized paint on the side of the rims where the brake pads rubs against the rims. It wore down to the original black paint after a couple of short rides. You could always mask the side of the rims but they were already black so it wasn't worth the trouble. Didn't even have to drag my feet on the short rides. :lol:

nice job on the bikes! How did you align the back sprocket? Did you use one of those store bought spacer kits or did you make your own?

StepChld said:
nice job on the bikes! How did you align the back sprocket? Did you use one of those store bought spacer kits or did you make your own?

When I build a vintage road bike (10-speed) into a single speed bike I replace the 5 gear rear cog with a single gear with freewheel. I also take off the outer chain ring and only use the smaller inter ring to keep a straight chain line. Sometimes I also have to space the small chain ring closer to the frame to get the correct alinement.

The Murrays were cheap department store bikes with 6-speeds (if I remember correct) with the shifter on the handle bars. The bikes only had one chain ring with a six gear rear cog. I just picked the gear on the rear cog that alined the chain correct with the front chain ring and used it. I didn't change the cog and didn't have to buy anything. I just shortened the chains on the bikes and cut off a extra bracket that held the original gear cable. Very quick and easy and worked great.

Dan

McLela said:
StepChld said:

The Murrays were cheap department store bikes with 6-speeds (if I remember correct) with the shifter on the handle bars. The bikes only had one chain ring with a six gear rear cog. I just picked the gear on the rear cog that alined the chain correct with the front chain ring and used it. I didn't change the cog and didn't have to buy anything. I just shortened the chains on the bikes and cut off a extra bracket that held the original gear cable. Very quick and easy and worked great.

Dan
Oh yeah..the KISS method! :D
What was I thinking!

Back