10 Day Flip

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Sittin' in my beanbag, nekked, eatin' Cheetos
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My daughter was married early December 2012 which meant that she would move 700Km away to be with her husband stationed at the Navy base in Sydney, Australia.
Months earlier she had asked me if I could do her a bike so that when she was in Sydney, she could ride to the shops, University, etc and I said OK, it'll be your xmas present (I will post her bike in another post).
10 days before xmas my darling daughter says to me...... "Dad, can you also build a bike for Ben for xmas so we can go riding together? He could just take his dads fancy mountain bike with him to Sydney, but you know how much he likes your kustomized stuff"
What's a guy to do???? I said OK again.

I had fixed up my daughters childhood trike for the flowergirl in her wedding, and bought this bike
10dayflip_001.jpg

just to get the basket to carry the flowers.

I decided to turn this into Bens custom flip bike.

First mock-up, ended up not using those wheels or parts donor frame.
10dayflip_002.jpg

Frame with cut down dropouts and and freshly donated BB, seat tube and dropouts.
10dayflip_003.jpg

Opened up the BB so I could weld a seat post in there for strength and alignment.
10dayflip_004.jpg

My ghetto way of matching the cuts on the new dropouts...
10dayflip_005.jpg

The parts donor MTB also supplied better wheels... not good, just better.
10dayflip_006.jpg

didn't have time to pull them apart to clean them up, so I wraped them in cloth and rotated them through a bucket of Oxalic acid, cloth stayed wet and the acid did its job.
10dayflip_007.jpg

The frame with the BB, seat tube and dropouts welded on.
10dayflip_008.jpg

Then I did a lot of work without taking any photos :oops:

Flipping that frame may be one of the best design ideas I've seen in a while. The paint is killer. Very cool build.

first off, respectfully, you're a nut for airbrushing flames free hand.. looks killer.
now for my not so knowledgeable question, the front derailer, is that to track the chain? I am curious cause i am trying to build something similar from a 10 speed, but wanted to run just 5. (mine is a mans, just cheating the rake and lowering the thing leaving the lugs alone)
thanks and looks great..
waiting to see what you did for hers... i mean she did get you to do that and it wasnt even for her to ride..
*edit... yeah i wish i had a girls frame now.. that is tuff.

Thanks for the compliments, I love truefire, and I'll keep practicing till I get it right!
pholTmonx said:
the front derailer, is that to track the chain?
It is not adjustable and is only there to minimize the chances of the chain jumping off the front sprocket when it's on the big cog on the back. It would probably be fine without it 99% of the time, but since I am not the one riding it, I put it on to play it safe.

OzBroz said:
Thanks for the compliments, I love truefire, and I'll keep practicing till I get it right!
yeah buddy... they are tricky and not the most forgiving things to pull off. haven't done em in years... Man those things freaked me out when they became the rage... i did not like doing them at all, too many variables and not forgiving.. either a great effect when done right, or god awful when not..
airbrush action getaways are fun, dont know what they cost now, but i had a blast and learned a bunch at my first one... I also learned i had gone with a broken hand... this was discovered after our meet and greet bowling game... Craig Frasre ended up doing me up a custom extreem bowler trophy... he was shocked/concerned i didnt go home and shot and striped the whole weekend.. totally worth it...
if you are ever out by Disneyland Id highly suggest checking out Coast airbrush in Anaheim and see if they have any workshops scheduled... I've done a few, always fun, and it pushes me and my work...
any how keep it up and thanks for explaining the derailer deal... having gone over the bars once this year was enough...

That is just crazy, man I love the stance, and just the general shape of it. You gave me ideas. Got to try that someday.

Sorcerer

Back