193? 1940? Clevland welding..

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well here is the straight bar i have been trying to id'd and also this frame is involved in a build of on UGV in the stock class... well here it is i have sterted with dismantaling it getting every thing sorted out on what i want to do .. have yet to nail down a color for it maybe get some help form you guy here on some ideas.... but here she is
i started to stripp all the grey paint off the chain sprocket and that is going real good a few pits in the chrome but looking much batter
I'm thinking if i should use paint remover or sand it down wish i knew where i could get it sand blasted that would be a whole lot smoother...
100_0560.jpg

100_0561.jpg

100_0562.jpg

100_0563.jpg

everything was going smooth till i had to take the chain off and busted the master link..so now im in need of a master link for a skip tooth chain...this is going to have a sturmey 3 speed laced into the stock pre war rims gonna make a faux tank plate and i have a few things still i have to come up with but first thing first ...STRIP THIS FRAME!!!!
Latez...

Re: Pre War Straight called bad intentions

I've been looking at one on CL with a similar frame. It's a Westfield....maybe. I'm no authority. Just learning, but it looks kinda like that Westfield frame I'm eye'in.

Nate

thanks for info..i aint heard that one iv gotten
rollfast
clevland welding
and now wetsfiled have to search them too and see what they look like It was sold to me as a Schwinn..but it only had a the S script seat.. its a nice frame but i would like to find out what it is by the end of the build to see if i can find or get a badge made..
Thanks for the input my friend... :mrgreen:

You have a skip tooth Sturmey Archer hub?

Oh and there are people selling skip tooth master links on ebay.

nice bike. nothin like a skiptooth drive train. has a sound all it's own.

Outlaw 8)

Re: 193? 1940? CWC Fleet wing..

i need a picture of a Feel wing badge please and thank you .. i finally nailed the make modle still trying for the year..
Thanks for all the info on this..now in the words or JAKE..
i got to get ta buildin !!!

I just caught this thread by the CWC in the Title, it looks like there have been several posts around the project so I’ll just add info where I can with respect to the frame’s origins.

The frame is a Cleveland Welding built frame and the sprocket is appropriate for it and could easily be original to it. The seat post and the bars may also be original to the bike along with some of the smaller parts but everything else including the fork is later than the frame and probably postwar.

The frame itself is what I refer to as a Cleveland Welding “Bent-Tank” and the curved down tube means this frame dates to 1940-42. The serial number can pin that down a bit further.

I don’t know if you have some way of knowing this bicycle was originally branded as a Fleeetwing, or if you are looking for that badge for some other reason. Fleetwing was one of many badge/brands these bikes were offered as and it is essentially a sub-brand offered by CWC as a companion to their standard in-house Roadmaster brand. Many of these badges were produced for jobbers and wholesale distributors who wanted a generic brand or brands to market to the independent bike shops and hardware stores the serviced.

Most of these sub-brand badges were produced on standard CWC blanks and use the same hole spacing as the standard Roadmaster badges. The bicycles they were attached to were built to the same general specifications as the companion Roadmasters making the badges basically interchangeable. I have a 1940 Fleetwing badged CWC that also has a Fleetwing decal on the down tube. Without the badge and decal, there would be no way to tell it apart from a Speed King or a Pilot or any of the other sub-branded variants.

Here is a photo of the badge on my 1940 Fleetwing. This same badge was used on CWC Fleetwings throughout the prewar years.

wow thanks for the info on my bike.. as far as the vin number I have found this on the bb K0 209 as for the Fleetwing badge thats about the only cwc bike i have found on line with the same details and what not as the frame i have plus i think its a cool badge but if i could find out the correct model of this frame i would badge correctly if i could find that also..The bars i thik are original they are marked TORRINGTON... you think the fork is pre war not original to the bike? I thought it looked funny but then again the bike i found on line had the same fork on it but only with the NOS head light bracket on it.. who know's all i know is im getting closer on finding what the heck i have been saving in my garage.... hey man any other info post it all the info helps.. i have tried to find a data base for vin but i have not had any luck..this is what i was going off of as far as the badge
http://www.google.com/url?q=http://luxl ... Ek6XJpTHhw
but again all the info is great then i will know what to say once its done at the shows.....
Thanks again for all the info RMS37

scott brownsey said:
very cool frame
thanks i have had some work done to it have to post a few pics of what i have done.... Strippin the pain and breaking down the wheels to get me sturmey laced on this and w few other things coming.. tThanks for check i my thread out..and stay tuned !!

rms37 said:

did these bikes come with another type of badge but of this same shape??? stripping the frame last night i uncovered that it has a darker mark in the middle of the of the head tube and it in the shape just like this sheild.. point on the bottom and all.. im gonna post some more pics later this week and show.. still not sure on the color..any sugestions???

Back