1938 elgin i think

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i found this from a neighbor, had it for many years, he painted it red but i have been taking the paint off to find original color and design, here is serial # f153560 h6 , if you have any idea what model it is or what is missing.
156ya2x.jpg
vnfpg8.jpg
2aflxrt.jpg

WOW! That's one heck of a score... :D It's going to look pretty cool all cleaned off... I don't know these all that well but it doesn't look like anything's missing.

That is gonna look nice! Everything looks straight....Great score (please don't tell me you bought that in E'ton).

hey kota ...no my neighbor had this bike and a old columbia in his yard as ornaments i wish he didnt paint them red he said i could have eather one but he wouldnt get rid of both the red paint comes off pretty easy the rim are strate and it peddles good to i think it had a light on the front fender but i dont know if it had a rear rack :?:

You definitely picked the right bike. I imagine it will pedal much better with tires. What are you using to take the paint off? I'm always looking for ideas. I looked through my Sears/Wards book of catalog pages and I don't see a frame & tank combination like yours till 1940-41. In all cases there was also a rack & front fender light present. If Phil sees this he can narrow it down better. Have fun.

I think the carrier, if present originally, probably would have been a slight variation of this, then. I think the one yours would have had would have a reflector or light bezel at the rear? I'm not sure.

2005zbd.jpg

The headlight I would guess was probably a Delta torpedo. If there are holes in the front fender, you could measure and compare here I would imagine (though I think all Delta lights with the exception of the JC Higgins/superlite/sealed beam type probably had the same hole pattern).

thanks road master i was looking at alot of of these bikes to and the 1940.s the ones i saw the fr fender s were mounted under the fork . and the tank s went past the seat post ...the paint remover im useing is called duplicolor paint remover it s from napa auto parts its in a spray can..

thanks for the info unchained it does have 2 holes in the front fender were most of these lights the same even on different brands of bikes :?: the back fender right above the licence plate it has a round reflecter with round bumps on it i dont know to much about these older bikes this is my first one if the paint doesnt look to good should i paint it or leave it alone. :?:

I would recommend that you clean the chain and sprocket teeth as much as possible and soak it before peddling it much. Those skiptooth chains are like 12 point deer.(Big bucks! :wink: )

I've heard that Elgins went to serial #'s strting with A in 1936, so your F may be 1941(?) Interesting that your bike has the same sprocket used on the Bluebird and Robin, and generally not on the lower priced bikes. ~Adam

rnchoppers said:
thanks road master i was looking at alot of of these bikes to and the 1940.s the ones i saw the fr fender s were mounted under the fork . and the tank s went past the seat post ...the paint remover im useing is called duplicolor paint remover it s from napa auto parts its in a spray can..
Yep, I looked through the book again and can't find any bike with the combination of parts yours has. We need Phil (rms37).

well it took me a few days but i found out the year and model of my bike its a 1940 elgin tanker mens now i have to find a rear rack and front light for it and a lot of elbow grease i got alot of the red off the bike is blue and whte but it dont look to good i think ill repaint it and put some pics up when im done :?

Back