1939 Firestone Flying Ace

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HWC

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my latest "Barn Find". It's a 1939 Firestone Flying Ace with a few missing parts. I went to a yard sale and there were bike parts all around, including a prewar Columbia frame in rough shape, so I inquired and then the fellow says "I have more bikes in the loft" and he got a flashlight and we went looking. There were two 40's bikes (Hawthorne and Schwinn) and the Firestone. I quickly agreed to buy the Flying Ace for the asking price of $20.00! The seller couldn't find the front wheel, but promised to find it for me at a later date. I will probably end up with the other bikes and parts too, so more to come on that, but for now I'm just excited to learn more about my latest find!

I need the following for this project: Handlebars, Chain guard and rear stand. Not sure if the rear wheel is correct, so if someone knows, please comment.

PersonalPics2009074.jpg

PersonalPics2009082.jpg

bikejunkie said:
Man thats gonna make a very beautiful bike!Is that tank not removable?It almost looks like part of the frame.Super super cool!!

Thanks!
I am looking forward to building this one...

To answer your question regarding tank:
The right side of the tank comes off, but the left side is integral with the frame.

I'll post a few more pics.

HWC

In top photo, attached to center downtube are three consecutive bicycle licenses from the city where the bike was found, dated 1940, 1941 and 1942!
PersonalPics2009076-1-1.jpg

PersonalPics2009071.jpg

PersonalPics2009085.jpg

WOW!!!That bike is amazing!!!I thought that is what I saw with the tank.I dont know how you could get any cooler than with that bike.Thanks for the extra pics,I really enjoyed them.Make sure when you get it rolling you update your pics as you go.Man those ribs in the tank with matching neck!!!Awesome.

Nice score :!: :mrgreen:
The correct guard for your bike is "crows beak" chainguard. Sam guard that is on the Dayton Twinflex.
Pretty spendy when they surface, you might be able to put a regular Dayton guard on it?
The guys over at the CABE ( http://www.thecabe.com ) might be able to help with what is correct.

Nice finds.......You've got some great bikes. Wanna double your money :wink:

lucky :mrgreen:
yeah make sure you sign up on the cabe an post your bikes serial # in the huffman serial number project!
37fleetwoods been trying to gather all he can so we can have a resource for dating these.
be very careful with that stem those can break easily(thus theyre arent many intact ones left and they can be spendy).....

SimpleMan said:
Nice finds.......You've got some great bikes. Wanna double your money :wink:

Jeff,

Thanks! I just love old bikes! and I don't have much $$$ in any of them, but if the economy stays in this slump much longer, I should probably jump at the chance to double my money! :wink:

sensor said:
lucky :mrgreen:
yeah make sure you sign up on the cabe an post your bikes serial # in the huffman serial number project!
37fleetwoods been trying to gather all he can so we can have a resource for dating these.
be very careful with that stem those can break easily(thus theyre arent many intact ones left and they can be spendy).....

Sensor,

Thanks for the input on the cabe/ ser. # project.... Will do! Happy to contribute.... Also, thanks for the warning on the stem. For now, I plan to just clean the bike up and try to get it together and rideable with correct original parts. Any thoughts on the rear wheel? Is it correct?

HWC

2manybikes said:
Nice score :!: :mrgreen:
The correct guard for your bike is "crows beak" chainguard. Sam guard that is on the Dayton Twinflex.
Pretty spendy when they surface, you might be able to put a regular Dayton guard on it?
The guys over at the CABE ( http://www.thecabe.com ) might be able to help with what is correct.

2manybikes,

Thanks for the info. I look forward to getting this one in rideable condition. Can't wait to ride it!

HWC

Back