1941? Colson

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont know if you all read the intro's so this may be a little repetative...

I picked up what I think is a '40 Colson Standard Equipped Model 06260. As you can see from the pics she's gonna need some real help. Whats there is actually in decent shape, and I think I can have her in the wind again.

DSC00739.jpg

DSC00741.jpg

DSC00760.jpg

colson_model_06260.jpg

The horn tank is in good shape and when I cracked it open to see what was goin on inside I found, among other things, batteries...still in good shape,and check the date:

DSC00755.jpg

edit: sorry... :? tried to squeeze it so you can see the date (1943) click it for full size
What a time capsule!

I can't wait to hear a horn from 1940...You can see the rusty, cracked patina, you can touch the grips and feel the riding position, you can taste.....ooh no.....let's skip that one...but with this you can actually HEAR something from 1940. COOL!

Anyone knowing where I might find parts for this 'lil beauty hit me up. Any manufacturer & period correct parts will do. This model probably wasn't top o' the line, but I'll dress her up nice with Standard/Deluxe/Imperial model stuff to.
And if anybody can de-code the stamps on the bottom bracket it would be greatly appreciated.
DSC00778.jpg

Thanks,
low~N~slo

Re: 1940? Colson

Great find. That chain guard looks like the alien. How do you guys find this stuff? Ride and Rat on

My secret decoder legend, available only to prewar Colson owners, says January 1941.... does that work for you? 8)

In the text it says a Musselman hub is extra charge. Who would have thought that was an upgrade?

My secret decoder legend, available only to prewar Colson owners, says January 1941.... does that work for you? 8)

Secret De-coder??? Cool! works for me. Many thanks. :D :D :D

In the text it says a Musselman hub is extra charge. Who would have thought that was an upgrade?

Stoopid question # 5,342 of day: Musselman = no good?????

very cool old shop stands. whered you find those?

Actually there's only one stand...it's in front of a mirror.

Picked it up on Craigs list and restored it. It's an Eldi from Germany. Don't have much info on them, but they were still in use in the '50's and '60's. It was in perfect working order and I can see why. It's built so simple and heavy duty the only way too make it malfunction would be to crush it with a car crusher or smelt it for scrap. I gave the 'ol girl a face lift and now it's ready for another 70 years of bike building. I wish it could talk... I bet it would have some cool stories to tell.

Picture001_v2.jpg

IMG_0751.jpg

IMG_0735.jpg

The "A 1" would suggest eraly 1941. Other Colson frames I've seen have the two digits stamped together, and perpendicular to the serial number. -Adam

The "A 1" would suggest eraly 1941. Other Colson frames I've seen have the two digits stamped together, and perpendicular to the serial number. -Adam

Thanks man...I'm on it now!

Now if I can just find some cool bits :)

Back