1952(?) Cadillac badged Schwinn Deluxe Autocycle

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GTV

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I found this old boy on Sunday. From what I can tell it's all original aside from the missing tank- if anyone has one please let me know!! It also has the locking truss rod fork... But the lock cylinder is missing as well. Can anyone elaborate on the Cadillac headbadge?
yne8ahed.jpg

asa9u2am.jpg

sa2upase.jpg

Re: 1952 Cadillac badged Schwinn Deluxe Autocycle

Cadillac was just one of hundreds of different badges Schwinn put on bikes. Your badge was put on by Schwinn at the request of Chicago Cycle Supply, a major distributor in Chicago. They used Cadillac, Ace, and several others.

I'm noticing the rack on your bike. The struts appear to be bolted to the axle instead of the little tab above the axle. Look at the comic book drawing and you'll see what I mean. If so, that's a prewar rack. $$$$$$ Not sure why it would be on your bike. Maybe old parts being used up. Schwinn didn't throw anything away. Gary

B607 said:
I'm noticing the rack on your bike. The struts appear to be bolted to the axle instead of the little tab above the axle. Look at the comic book drawing and you'll see what I mean. If so, that's a prewar rack. $$$$$$ Not sure why it would be on your bike. Maybe old parts being used up. Schwinn didn't throw anything away. Gary

Actually, it does bolt to the tab above the axle. When I bought the bike I noticed the rack sitting in another pile of parts, I asked if it was for that bike and the seller assertively replied back, "No, that came off a different bike." I figured they knew more than I did so I went on and took my purchase home. When I got home I looked at the comic book and nearly had a heart attack! I raced back to the swap meet and scooped the rack out of someone's hands. It's the same colour, has the same dust, the same exact witness marks from being attached, I have no doubt it is original to the bike.

One more question... The front wheel has a Schwinn hub and a drop center wheel, the rear hub is a New Departure and the hoop looks similar to an S2 but without the knurling. Which is original? Was the drivetrain swapped out? It dates to December 52, I believe 1/2" pitch was an option at that time?

CeeBee said:
What's the microcar-ish swing-armed thing lurking in the background? 8)

Not so micro... 1965 VW Bus

GTV said:
B607 said:

Actually, it does bolt to the tab above the axle. When I bought the bike I noticed the rack sitting in another pile of parts, I asked if it was for that bike and the seller assertively replied back, "No, that came off a different bike." I figured they knew more than I did so I went on and took my purchase home. When I got home I looked at the comic book and nearly had a heart attack! I raced back to the swap meet and scooped the rack out of someone's hands. It's the same colour, has the same dust, the same exact witness marks from being attached, I have no doubt it is original to the bike.

One more question... The front wheel has a Schwinn hub and a drop center wheel, the rear hub is a New Departure and the hoop looks similar to an S2 but without the knurling. Which is original? Was the drivetrain swapped out? It dates to December 52, I believe 1/2" pitch was an option at that time?

I think the first bikes off the line in '46 had drop centers. They then went to unknurled S2's, then knurled. Not sure the years Schwinn changed them but I'd say there's a good chance they are Schwinn rims. Whether from the factory of replaced, I don't know. Gary

Some of the 40s schwinns i have owned had Lobdell wheels. Nice bike!

So is the bike earlier than 52 and the drivetrain was (partially) swapped out? The ID dates it to Dec 52 but I remember something about re-using numbers because of a fire and records were lost??

Earlier bikes are stamped under crank hanger..around 52 they are on left rear drop out..

Right, these numbers are below the bottom bracket.

What's with the non knurled hoop on a 1/2" pitch hub?? I guess I can pull the crank to confirm age but at this point who knows what has been swapped out...

I dont know the i.d. but its probably around 1947-8 Also some early post war had a tapered end kick stand..cranks dont always have the date. Looks pretty stock to me. Great find!

my 1946 had drop center lobdells with bendix hub but didn't have the tapered kickstand. Had to sell it...still missing it :cry:

I'm not familiar with the tapered kickstand, but this one looks pretty normal to me(?).

Serial number is G11733. According to the Schwinn Cruisers website that makes it December of '52, and other than the wheels it matches up with the Autocycle in the '52 catalog seen here:
http://schwinncruisers.com/catalogs/1952.html
If it is indeed a '52, would that make the 1/2" pitch chain ring possibly factory equipment? I think that it was an option around 52-54ish??

I put some new tubes in the old tires and took it for a spin. It really takes some work to get that old Goodyear rubber to turn, but I really like the look. I still feel like it definitely has some drivetrain changes going on though... the chain ring is only a few thousandths of an inch away from the chain stay, and the right crank just grazes the chain stay when pedaling (crank feels like it is adjusted correctly in the BB). So I'm thinking at least the crank, chain ring, front and rear wheels are all from a later bike? I would really like to figure this out so I can put it all back how it was supposed to be, your help is very appreciated!

The sprocket crank etc is most likely original to your bike. All my phantoms etc the big 52 tooth sprocket is super close to the chain stay. If the crank arm is scraping the chain stay its likely bent a little. The non skip tooth 1/2" pitch chains were used on 40's bikes also for schwinns they used 1/2" pitch on higher end bikes. Nice bike but my guess is your bikes late 40's I dont think they used the truss rod fork with the little braces in the 50's. As for wheels if its 40's it would have been likely drop centers

GTV i would say your bike is a 1950 with G serial number under crank. Schwinns came either way with 1/2 inch chain setup or 1 inch pitch. Chrome Knurled S2 wheels would look pretty good on that puppy! :)

Thanks for the input fellas! I didn't know 1/2" pitch was available that early. One less thing to find.

I looked over both wheels carefully and didn't see any markings on them (I didn't look on the inside when I had the tires off though). I thought even the non knurled S2's were marked "Schwinn Tubular S2", correct? The rear wheel looks to be a dead match for the wheels on the early 50's Monark I cleaned up for my gal, other than the spoke nipples are a bit longer on the Schwinn.

Back