1955 Schwinn Corvette into a balloon?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a chance to buy a 1955 Corvette frame/seat for $30 and was wondering if there is a way to convert the rear to a balloon tire bike? I know the front I just need a balloon fork. Thanks!

With a little finesse~~The fenders will fit as well~~
Evans 400 Viscount~~Originally a Middle Weight now with Duro 26 X 2.125 Small Brick tread in the fenders~~

This is a Schwinn Varsity frame with a new Wald Middle Weight fender and a Duro 26 X 2.125 Diamond Tread in it~~

Whichever way you go it's all possible and have fun with your build~~;)

You can fit balloon tires front and back pretty easily on a middleweight with middleweight fenders even. It'll depend a bit on what tire you use and might have to be a little adjustment. I like the look because the fender really hugs the tire.

This is a '56 American with balloon tires and they fit just fine on an otherwise stock frame set.

i saw that bike for sale great deal,2 year seial number which doesnt mean anything when you fat it ,i could use the seat crash rail if you dont need it,shotme a pm if it works

Another issue might be your rear wheel. I've squeezed plenty of balloon tires and fenders under a middleweight. But often there isn't enough clearance for a wheel that is even slightly out of true. The straighter the wheel the easier it will be.

yep i put balloon tires on a middleweight columbia speedline,they worked but the wheels have to be real true,as well as the frame

Thanks for the replies! I just want balloon tires AND the balloon fenders because they kinda make bikes look like old school motorcycles. My friend bought an old JC Higgins girls bike with the big tires/fenders and had a really cool look and loved it! I know Schwinn made balloon tire bikes, but I dont know if they made them with that middleweight frame style. Maybe I'll just have to look for another maker, like JC Higgins. Just gotta keep my eyes peeled.

I've put 2.125 tires on many middleweight Schwinns, the forks will handle them also.

6o0nd4.jpg

Thanks for the replies! I just want balloon tires AND the balloon fenders because they kinda make bikes look like old school motorcycles. My friend bought an old JC Higgins girls bike with the big tires/fenders and had a really cool look and loved it! I know Schwinn made balloon tire bikes, but I dont know if they made them with that middleweight frame style. Maybe I'll just have to look for another maker, like JC Higgins. Just gotta keep my eyes peeled.
Schwinn's balloon tire bikes also had the same style cantilever frame only wider, I think 1959 was the last year Schwinn made balloon tire bikes. Here's my 53 balloon tire bike:
24yzojt.jpg

Schwinn's balloon tire bikes also had the same style cantilever frame only wider, I think 1959 was the last year Schwinn made balloon tire bikes. Here's my 53 balloon tire bike:
24yzojt.jpg
Actually, Schwinn made the ballooner Wasp through 1965. In 1996, I wanted whitewalls desperately for my '56 Vette. I bought a new Huffy Good Vibrations on sale for $69, and swapped the rims. The Kenda 2.125 ww's fit no problem, they're not as tall as some of the others. -Adam

Back