1969 Schwinn Orange Krate

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Finally got my hands on an affordable Krate. She's a bit rough, but give me time and plenty of money and she will be beautiful once again! Craigslist score with this one! This puts me at 3. 1971 Fastback, 1973 Deluxe and this.

aquby9yz.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats! Looks like a lot of good parts there for an easy restoration. The nice thing about working on Schwinn muscle bikes is the parts are plentiful.

And it looks like you got a bonus and have a 1968 Krate Pogo Seat post there, selling that might offset the cost of the whole bike!

Are you talking about the front seat post? LOL I just assumed it was a spare parts bin post about to be replaced with OEM...

Yeah the seat post lol. If it looks like it is a two piece post with a spring, it is probably a Schwinn Krate Pogo Seat Post, a nice item to find on a 1969. Those were a 1968 Krate item. Lots of them seem to have been removed from bikes.

Clean it up a little and see if it is nice, that is a coveted Krate part there!

Well, apparently I should just run the serial number before I listen to the seller. I stripped it down, pulled the crank and it said 68. I was concerned I may have something that was pieced together so I ran inside and checked the serial number. Its a 1968. The frame appears to have been repainted. Looks like two layers of orange, but they are pretty close in color oddly. Inside the crank is the correct orange though. So I am thinking I am going to sandblast the frame and repaint it. But the chain guard will stay OEM finish.Rear seat strut isn't factory, and I believe I have the wrong shifter. Plus the 68 Krate's had a white seat with orange stripes. Mine is an orange seat with white stripes. So looks like sometime back in the day someone rebuilt this bike.

It could be a late 1968 Krate, which would have the parts for a 1969 on it. Schwinn bike frames with December date codes, like MD for example, would be a bike built for the following model year. So if your bike has an MD date code, it is really a 1969 bike. All the dated parts would be 1968, the dated parts always lag behind the frame date.

Also, if you do have an MD bike, the seat would be orange with a white stripe...because it was built to be a 1969 Krate.

Back