1970 Schwinn Stingray

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well lets get to it. This is the thread Ill be using to show my restore hope you enjoy.

A old friend brought the bike to me before his step dad scrapped it years ago, now Im finally getting to it.

027-2.jpg

It had been painted gold.

028-3.jpg

029-2.jpg

030-2.jpg

After first coat of stripper.

031-2.jpg

after second coat of stripper.

looks good.. :)
was that a two speed?
i have one too i need to rebuild :)
314881_364863570251468_1678384301_n.jpg

sadly it was copper tone.. 'one my fave stingray colors' :(

Awesome, i dont know why someone would paint over a beautiful color like that. My back rim is a bendex two speed wheel original to the bike. It has the three red grooves in it. Ive just completely redone the wheel.

015-3.jpg

Back rim all together.
020-3.jpg

Now Ive got the paint and the grips and the rear tire, also got the frame in primer. Still working on the chain gaurd, it was beat up.
023-1.jpg

VERY nice work! 8) 8) 8)

This will be one sharp Stingray!

Stingrat said:
The rebuild of the back rim.
In original condition.
019-3.jpg

020-2.jpg

all cleaned up.
026-1.jpg

yup even looks same condtion mine :p
has the 3 groves but were painted in blue..
its a cool hub i cant wait to build it..
im probably gonna turn it into a motor bike.. 'gonna try to remove blue paint with oven cleaner first'

but this will be put on the back burner along with the jesse james bike and occ chopper cause im tryin to build a 92 GT Vertigo..

Iven; into Bmx too 8)
484418_360878780649947_66363833_n.jpg

the motorbike not mine.. 'just stepdads, fathers 60's Harley :roll:

Thanks man, yeah finding part for these stingrays are tricky if your looking for the real schwinn parts, i still have my BMX bike too lol.

Stingrat said:
Thanks man, yeah finding part for these stingrays are tricky if your looking for the real schwinn parts, i still have my BMX bike too lol.
i might just do a retro version stingray if i can get money :p
with stumery disc brake hubs and 5spd rear or 3spd :) may have to sale the 2spd to get some thing done though..
also the neck is tweaked bad.. like if some one bent it out so they could pull the bars out :shock:
580850_364863703584788_64165125_n.jpg

ma 2psd
251956_364862896918202_994223662_n.jpg

Stingrat said:
Ouch! You can find those on ebay pretty easily. Ross bikes had the same style necks.
i may end up retro-ing this one.. get an Aluminum neck, sealed bearring wheels, maybe cranks. also the cranks on it have a tweak to the left side i think it was..
this bike been through some abuse.. poor girl..
can't wait till i can bring her back, maybe ill try to strip that blue spray bomb job off to expose the pretty copper tone shine..

iven said:
Stingrat said:
Ouch! You can find those on ebay pretty easily. Ross bikes had the same style necks.
i may end up retro-ing this one.. get an Aluminum neck, sealed bearring wheels, maybe cranks. also the cranks on it have a tweak to the left side i think it was..
can't wait till i can bring her back, maybe ill try to strip that blue spray bomb job off to expose the pretty copper tone shine..

I hear ya, yeah that coppertone is a pretty color

Stingrat said:
iven said:
Stingrat said:

I hear ya, yeah that coppertone is a pretty color

i may even do a metal flake color or even chameleon :shock:

Stingrat said:
Wait till you see the color i got, im gonna try and spray it this weekend.
cool, i just picked up some stripper from ace.. im gonna strip abunch of stuff tmro 'hopefully' and later give some stuff a vinegar bath :p

Stingrat said:
Yeah thats what I used, worked great.
i knida don wanna strip off the blue cause the pretty copped tone under :cry:
but im gonna strip abunch of other parts forsure.. maybe my Krusty Jessejames chopper too..

Back