1974 varsity 9" tall head tube

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.png
picked up this lime green varsity today with a 9" neck super tall bike and cool book rack / child seat

Must be the 27" frame size. The paint and chrome were very good on those Chicago Schwinns.

I have a 83 Ross Mt Hood MTB with the same head tube size (250mm) , not a common size for a MTB head tube I was told at my local LBS , here is a few pix

Attachments

• 20161213_110732-1-2.jpg
    20161213_110732-1-2.jpg
    593.7 KB · Views: 145
  • 20161213_110111-1-1.jpg
    20161213_110111-1-1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 133
  • 20161213_110732-1-2-1.jpg
    20161213_110732-1-2-1.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 132
It needs new decals and some cleaning , rides super nice ! Think the bars were swapped when it was new !
image.jpeg

There is a cult like following for the schwinn varsity , there durable workhorses and cheap to fix , ride it and love it will get you around town no problems and guaranteed no one will steal it ✌

I have a Traveler in that size with 27 1/4" rims. Fun to ride, hard to stand over comfortably (36"+ at the top tube) I have to lean it over. My tall son rides it.

Carl.

WOW that's one super tall ride , Very nice , I'd be afraid of Vertigo but seriously I've seen many Varsity's but not many that tall , nice find I'd probably hang on to that one for a long while..

~ Rafael ~

They must have had the Schwinn dealer do the swap, they used all Schwinn parts and got the cables just the right length. Probably when new. Also the seat.

I looked at the catalog again, the Suburban didn't come in that tall size, your Varsity with fenders did, the 26" size, not 27" like I thought. (Measuring from the center of the cranks to the top of the seat tube.)

1974_17.jpg

I have a red Varsity road bike.
I got it for free. The guy who gave it to me was tall and heavy, he blew the old, dry tires and he didn't want to replace them anymore.
I thought it is a 27" frame, center of the BB to the top of the seat tube. I need to measure it tomorrow.
It is laying in the garage near a 26" frame Fuji.
Hope in spring I will find new owners for them.

Yeah this one is 26" From the b.b to the top of the seat clamp ! Crazy the top tube is 36" off the ground ! I found another one but it's a 73 the same color but without fenders today !

My first quality bike (7 years old) was a schwinn stingray blue with a white banana seat and sissy bar and ape hangers and whitewall tires , my dad bought it from a bike shop used , schwinn will always have a place in my collection as I own a 2009 schwinn link comfort bike , it's a beater and bullet proof was a rescue and free it's reliable , grocery getter etc

Very cool bikes! I can't ride them at 5'7", but I know a guy in my town who wants me to find him something appropriate for a 6'10" 350lb man. Do yall think the wheels and tires would be up to the task if I found him one?

The frame would hold up if it's one of the Chicago Schwinns, but I would have a set of heavy duty wheels made up at 350 lbs. And a solid seat post

Back