2 Schwinn's and a Murray

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this 24'' Fleet off craigslist earlier this week. The front wheel, seat, and handle bars are not original. I think everything else is correct though.

24SchwinnFleet1.jpg

I am thinking about ratting this one since it has a good start already. It looks like I can fit a set of whitewall balloon tires if I swap out the S2 back wheel for a regular wheel to match the front. Neat springer bananna seat too bad it is really uncomfortable.

24SchwinnFleet2.jpg

Then Yesterday I traded a paint job and some other work for this 26'' Typhoon (with a bent fork) and this old Murray with a tank.

26SchwinnTyphoon1.jpg

It has some scratches and is really dirty but I think it should clean up pretty nice.

26SchwinnTyphoon2.jpg

26SchwinnTyphoon4.jpg

I am pretty sure the seat is allot older than the bike.

26SchwinnTyphoon3.jpg

The Murray has a nice patina to it.

OldMurrayTank1.jpg

Demolition derby sticker on the seat ( maybe it should be on the Typhoon with the bent forks).

OldMurrayTank4.jpg

Not sure what brand the rear hub is.

OldMurrayTank5.jpg

OldMurrayTank6.jpg

The guy threw in this frame and fork.

Chopper1.jpg

Chopper2.jpg

Wish I had this kind of luck all the time.

If I'm not mistaken...that banana seat is a Solo Polo and could be worth some decent money.

Some of our muscle bike experts need to chime in and see if they can I.D. it. :wink:

I am positive that the seat is a Troxel "Torsion Spring" saddle with roll and pitch action,was introduced in 1964.{LINK}http://bikerodnkustom5.homestead.com/brainhistory64.html.....Hope that helps. Info thanks to John Brain.

The Fleet should have two clips under the top bar. Those are for the tank, one of the skinny later ones. I'm pretty sure all Fleets came with a tank, light, and rear rack. Is your front fender drilled for a light? Gary

Flame Jigger...REAL COOL finds....I have that same solo polo(?) banana seat in the leopard skin.I bought a whole bike(girl's 24"Wards Hawthorne) just to get that seat and a cool shield shaped red,white and blue reflector.I only paid $35 at a local whatnot thrift store so I didn't get hurt on the deal at all...Pappy 8)

Rat Rod said:
If I'm not mistaken...that banana seat is a Solo Polo and could be worth some decent money.

Some of our muscle bike experts need to chime in and see if they can I.D. it. :wink:

Thanks for the heads up Rat Rod. I had no clue what it was.

strangeframe said:
I am positive that the seat is a Troxel "Torsion Spring" saddle with roll and pitch action,was introduced in 1964.{LINK}http://bikerodnkustom5.homestead.com/brainhistory64.html.....Hope that helps. Info thanks to John Brain.

I took the seat off and checked for a name and you are correct it is a Troxel.

B607 said:
The Fleet should have two clips under the top bar. Those are for the tank, one of the skinny later ones. I'm pretty sure all Fleets came with a tank, light, and rear rack. Is your front fender drilled for a light? Gary

It has the clips and the fender is drilled for a light.

Thaks for the ID help guys.

Back