24'' Stretch Cruiser

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently found a good deal on some 24'' whitewalls ($5 each) and a set of handle bars for $8. I had a set of 24'' wheels off a newer murray girls bike but the only other 24'' frame I had was a girls monark.

Monark.jpg

I thought about throwing some parts on it and calling it good but then I got to thinking what if! So I grabbed the sawzall and started cutting. I had some pieces left over from previous projects and before too long I had an idea of what I wanted to build.

Stretch241.jpg

The next day I made a few design changes.

Stretch242.jpg

By the time I got to welding it all together some things didn't work out as planned plus my brother gave me a set of 26'' springer forks. So needless to say I made the neccesary changes and before long I had it rolling to see how it was going to set.

Stretch243.jpg

Stretch244.jpg

Next I welded a bottom bracket on. Then I added a second top bar and welded a temporary seat bar in place.

Stretch245.jpg

Finally got the seat bar welded in and a few other finishing touches done.

Stretch246.jpg

Stretch247.jpg

Stretch248.jpg

The welds have been ground smooth and it is painted but I need to get some pics of the finished bike.

looking good! i love the lines, they remind me of that old school looney tune style of drawing in the cartoons. ya know when they pluck a guitar string or show vibrations running through a telephone wire.

you should build some off set rims (use different length spokes to set the hub off center)

just slightly off center. (makes the bike go up and down)cause ya ain't got much clearance.

when your feeling kinda goofy (bar cruises etc)
just throw on the off sets. :)
edit, guess theres a couple ways to go about it. :)
eccentric2.jpg

looks like it'll ride good. i picked up another 24 myself a while back that'll get stretched eventually.

icyuod2 said:
looking good! i love the lines, they remind me of that old school looney tune style of drawing in the cartoons. ya know when they pluck a guitar string or show vibrations running through a telephone wire.

you should build some off set rims (use different length spokes to set the hub off center)

just slightly off center. (makes the bike go up and down)cause ya ain't got much clearance.

when your feeling kinda goofy (bar cruises etc)
just throw on the off sets. :)
edit, guess theres a couple ways to go about it. :)
eccentric2.jpg

Actually it does have a little bounce to it as the tires are a bit warped I guess they were folded up and in boxes for a few years. They are straightening out the more I ride it. Plus I have been letting the air out and reairing them every once in awhile. Seems to be helping. The back wheel is a pretty tight fit with the original dropouts so don't think the offsets would work. I have to let the air out of the tire to get the wheel on. Probably going to change the dropouts some day but I got in a hurry and threw some paint on it for now. I got some pics of the painted bike today but haven't got them into photobucket yet. I will try to post them afterwhile.

Philphine said:
looks like it'll ride good. i picked up another 24 myself a while back that'll get stretched eventually.

Yeah it does ride good. Nice and comfy and pedals easy thanks to a 22 tooth rear sprocket I added to make the chain clear the chain stay. Look forward to seeing what you do with yours.

Here some photos of it with paint. My wife said I should paint it yellow. I wasn't sure about it at first but the color is growing on me. I still have a few finishing touches later when the new wears off but I am just going to enjoy riding it for now. I am thinking maybe a wooden tank, a chain guard and a rear fender but that would mean changing the rear stays to move the wheel back a bit. If anyone has any Ideas I would like to hear them.

Stretch249.jpg

Stretch2410.jpg

Stretch2411.jpg

Dude, i love the shear whimsy of this bike. You should name it the 'Cos' or maybe the 'Jell-o Shot' because it looks like it's jiggling just sitting still.
As far as a chainguard, it looks like one off of a Schwinn Sting-Ray chopper might stretch that far back. For a rear fender, man, with your welding skills you could bob a rear fender and weld it to your top stays and run standard braces back to the axle.

Good build man

Dr. Tankenstein said:
Dude, i love the shear whimsy of this bike. You should name it the 'Cos' or maybe the 'Jell-o Shot' because it looks like it's jiggling just sitting still.
Good build man

he said it way better than i, but thats exactly what i love about this bike.
turned out wicked!

Re: 24'' Stretch Cruiser (Now named The Jell-o Shot)

ballroomwrecker said:
very nice bike..lovin the lines of it

Thanks. I tried to not have any straight lines on this one.

Dr. Tankenstein said:
As far as a chainguard, it looks like one off of a Schwinn Sting-Ray chopper might stretch that far back. For a rear fender, man, with your welding skills you could bob a rear fender and weld it to your top stays and run standard braces back to the axle.

Good build man

Thanks for the compliments. Actually I already have a ducktail ballooner fender cut down to fit. It was actually pretty simple once I thought about it. When I cut the fender down I left a small tab like the one that mounts to the bottom stays. I will try to get some pics tomorrow. The fender was a 26'' so I got to switch braces or else cut them down. I also have a Schwinn Stingray chopper chainguard that I thought about using but it pretty beat up. I am going to try to hammer out the dents and dings and see how it looks. Thanks for the ideas though. I like the name Jello Shot so now it has a name.

icyuod2 said:
he said it way better than i, but thats exactly what i love about this bike.
turned out wicked!

Thanks! I love the style of your bikes so a compliment from you is cool.

Back