24" Tires

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings All!

I need a little bit of help here, could someone point me in the right direction please... as I am still kinda new to the hobby. I've got a couple of 24" boys bikes that I'm getting ready to "restore" for the kids use. Could you all rattle off different tire manufacturers? Kenda, Bontrager, Dura, etc. What I'm looking for, preferably, is something larger than the 24" x 2.125. I don't think want [or could use] a 3" tire though...?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Clark

Re: 24" Tires... now with follow up question 10/23

Could someone please confirm something for me...? I was told that a Schwinn S-2 rim would accept any "normal" (non Schwinn specific) bicycle tire whereas the S-5 and S-7 rims would not (needing Schwinn specific)...

I hate being a newb... and a pain. Thanks for the help.

Clark

Re: 24" Tires... now with follow up question 10/23

Sleeper Sedan said:
Could someone please confirm something for me...? I was told that a Schwinn S-2 rim would accept any "normal" (non Schwinn specific) bicycle tire whereas the S-5 and S-7 rims would not (needing Schwinn specific)...

I hate being a newb... and a pain. Thanks for the help.

Clark

Correct, s-2's take standard tires, the rest are schwinn specific

The Fat Tire may fit the frame...but the chain may skim the tire.

Been there done that.I got chain oil on my sidewalls and dont care.(its only chain flex)

I can measure it with a feeler guage. (heh)

Thanks MagicRat for the insight.

I know there's a whole lotta different tire/wheel combos and even differences between manufacturers of the same given tire size and such... Both of my bikes have 2.125 tires and it appears to have plenty of clearance all around/front & rear so I think a 2.4" would fit w/o any problems. A 3" tire would be a roll of the dice however.

If anyone else has other tire vendors/manufacturers to throw into the mix, please feel free to do so.

Thanks again,
Clark

Deorman, thank you for the links. I had found only one out those four!

Here's my next stupid question... sorry, I'm confused. <thinking... "I'm going to owe someone a beer after this inquiry">

The Maxxis Hookworm is one tire I am considering, most places list it as 24"x2.4" [or as a 2.5"], but the http://www.niagaracycle.com/product_inf ... ts_id=2662 link notes on this particular tire... "*Note: This is NOT the same diameter as a fractional tire size such as 24" x 1 1/4"*" What does this mean? I have a earlier '40s Hawthorne skip tooth and a late 50s Schwinn 24" bikes, will this tire fit either?

Clark

Thanks deorman,

This is making more sense now; I had no idea of the variety and nuances of tires produced, now and over the past decades! Geez.

Both of my bikes are "ballooners". As I had previously eluded too, the Schwinn in my possession, has S-2 wheels/tires... Consequently the "507" I see popping up is making sense too, after looking at your link provided.

One last question, I think... When I see "folding" as part of the tire description, I am assuming, that "given" tire can be folded up in a box whereas other tires will shipped [and stored] flat, right?

Thanks for the help. Always eager to learn more!

Clark

Back