26" Puma GTS Stretch Cruiser (1 Time)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to the custom bike community. I love the low, long stretch bikes. This is my first bike since I was like 14 years old, and that was a BMX style. I bought a Puma GTS for $370, and haven't done much to it. But I have plans and the more I do the more I want to do.

Here is how I started (except blue in color);

PUMA-GTS.jpg

I started be pealing all the "tribal" style stickers off of it, which made that blue stand out more...

I had the bike shop where I bought it throw in some apes to start with (oh yeah and a buddy of mine who built an older Puma had some black walls that I decided to go with instead of white walls);

IMG_20110808_183432.jpg

The same friend had gone through a couple different handlebars before getting some ape hangers from the same shop I got the bike at. So once again another freebie... The bars are off a Harley Davidson of some kind, but look good;

IMG_20110808_183902.jpg

Then I decided I wanted to paint the bars black, which I did, and was also free as I had a can of flat black spray paint in the garage. So this is where I'm at for now;

IMG_20110809_132121.jpg

IMG_20110809_132109.jpg

IMG_20110809_132100.jpg

IMG_20110809_132039.jpg

The next thing I want to do is change the forks to the Monark styel double springer;
513230.jpg

But I want to find a good deal on them, instead of spending $120 on new repop ones. I love the way they look. To me the bike kind of looks like the old like 1930's style police motorcycles, so that the direction I'm going with. The name "1 Time" came from my boss, it just stuck.

Let me know what y'all think, any and all feedback would be great...

~Slimy

GREAT LOOKING BIKE!! HEY WHY NOT BREAK OUT THE STRIPPER OR WET SAND PAD AND PAINT IT A PHAT COLOR AND SUPRISE YA FRIENDS!! OR HOW ABOUT A BLACK TANK AND BLACKEN THE INSIDE OF THE CHAINGUARD. :idea:HEY!! I SHOULD BE SAVING THESE IDEAS FOR MYSELF :D EITHER WAY SHE SURE IS PURDY!! PEACE

Thanks, I am going to take your advice about the chainguard, and a few other items may get some flat black paint as well. I did put the grips off my ape hangers on my bars tonight though, I think they look better. I'll post some more pics from work tomorrow. My friend that gave up all the freebies has joined and posted pics of his 26" stretch on here (Live From The 505). His has more of the traditional lowrider toutch and a New Mexico theme, where I'm going for the almost bobber/chopper look. Thanks again Clos for the idea of getting a stretch cruiser (by far the coolest bike I've ever owned), and all the free parts and help you given me.

OK RATTER!! LOOKING GOOD! TAKE A PIC OF YA BIKE AND PRINT IT OUT. THEN COLOR IN ALL YA FLAT BLACK IDEAS AND ....GET TA BUILDIN'!! PEACE

If you are talking about the double springer, just google "monark double springer bicycle fork". The pic is one of a repop, but I have heard some bad things about the quality of the repops, so I think I'm going to stick with the forks I have unless I can find an original monark fork.

I Have painted the chain gaurd, but haven't taken pictures yet, will be getting some up shortly. I also just got a couple of amo cans... I am going to mount them like saddle bags and mount all my batteries and switches for my lights. I plan on doing a bullet taillight, bullet headlight, and then a red and blue custom made out of 30 mil shells for the front as wig-wags (police style lights)... I'll be posting pics of the proccess and the finished project as soon as I get started on this. Hopefully it looks as cool on the bike as it does in my head.

Sorry been slakcing, due to working 12 hours shifts. Haven't done much to the bike... I flipped the gooseneck 180 to see how it looked and felt, but didn't like the ride, so I will be turning it back around. I started working on ideas and fabrication for mounting two amo cans like saddle bags and wire routing and all that good jaz (the cans will house my 12 volt battery system for lighting, to include emergency style strobe light :D ). Still need to work on the way all the wiring will go and how to tie everything in. I have been taking photos but haven't uploaded any to my photobucket to post on here yet. (Like I said I've been slacking). I'm still trying to find the monark style fork without paying $120, but I'll probably end up just buying a new one (that has the stronger welds). I am also currently trying to find some one local that is good at pinstripping!?! I want to do a two tone baby blue and white pinstripe on the fenders and tank area (with some other custom touches yet to be decided on). I realize this isn't a bike that'll be done overnight, nor do I expect that. I am just glad I have a cool bike to ride, that's easy to maintain, and a blast to put my own "swing" on. I've always been into customizing and fabricating on cars, trucks, and motorcycles, and never thought a bicycle could be as fun, but it is. I keep looking through the site at everyone's great builds and resto jobs, etc... Everyone on this site is full of good ideas and exicution, and aren't afraid to share either.

Tanks!

Hey been slacking big time as my budy Carlos has pointed out. I've finally uploaded pics of the bike with the painted chainguard and when I had the gooseneck flipped around (I have since flipped it back around). But I worked out a deal where I'll be getting a Monark repop double springer fork. And I tihnk I came up with a way to mount my amo cans the way I want to... I'll be making my own fender braces out of some flat stock and be going from there. Anways here are the most current pics of progress;

IMG_20110816_113148.jpg

IMG_20110816_113134.jpg

IMG_20110816_113127.jpg

IMG_20110816_113111.jpg

IMG_20110816_113057.jpg

IMG_20110816_113045.jpg

Hopefully by mid next week I'll either have or be getting the new springer forks, and closer to getting the look I want.

i really like the springer fork you have now, maybe i'll fit one on my 26' cruiser too

... but the one i will get is much better looking :D

Back