26 x 1 3/8?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got an old Hercules and the tires it came with, original ones, say 26 x 1 3/8 on the side. I got new ones and they DON'T fit! :x What gives? I did measure the rims at 23 5/8 outside and the tires at 23 even. Are there special ones or do I need a particular brand? They do need to be white wall too.

26x1 3/8 is another size-type than 26x1.75 or 26x2.125. It seems you've got get another set or tires. You'll never get a 1 3/8 tire to fit a 1.75 wheel and vice versa...

LOL!!! and GRRRRRR!

I'm not laughing at you bigRed..... I'm laughing at the absurdity of the 26 x 1 3/8 size and it's related cousins. In fixing up old bikes, this is one of the most maddening things out there. I've seen four variations of the 26 x 1 3/8 theme..... and none of them interchange, NOR do the decimal equivalents like 26 x 1.5 fit them.

I've gotten so frustrated by it that I never even fool with that size tire anymore. I toss the wheels and put newer 26" rims on the bike. By the way.... I've got a nice set of Schwinn S5 Wheels if anyone needs them.... in the 26 x 1 3/8 size!

Whoever thought that particular designation up should get his butt kicked.

Back