3 spd freewheel/coaster brake conversion??

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My question is can you convert a 3 spd freewheel into a coaster brake? I have a Sturmey Acher 3 spd that I want to use but I refuse to use hand brakes. I also think that the SA shifts and out performs my Nexus 3 spd coaster brake. Has anyone done or heard of such a thing? All comments are welcomed. Thank you.

Sadly the answer is no. The only conversion possible is a coaster brake to freewheel for singlespeed hubs.

There is no way to convert a S/A freewheel to coaster (that I know of). However, S/A hubs do come in coaster brake form. They are a bit rarer, but you should be able to hunt one down.

Dan

I had toyed with this same question, but figured that it would be a no go.

You could keep the three speed freewheel and make a suicide brake for it. That would be cool in of its own and would alay some of "handbrake" fears.

I plan on doing this with a Shimano 3-speed freewheel I got last weekend.

Rats! lol.. I guess I will try and hunt one down or just use the nexus hub I have. The reason why I don't want handbrakes is because I am thinking.. painted rims.. Thanks for the responses guys.

99 bucks sounds like a lot of chedda..I think my LBS(an hour away) may have one, used. If not the Nexus is the way to go. I just hope I can use my bendix top tube shifter..

Back