3 speed coaster brake hub quick question.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is 2nd gear considered "direct drive"? Meaning this is the same ratio as a one speed hub with the same size sprocket.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk

Concur with Bicycle808.
Post up what hub you have to be sure. usually the coaster brake isn't as good as a single speed, adding a front handbrake is always a good idea. As with a single speed, if your chain comes off, no brakes.

Its just something I always wondered about.I have had a few 3 speed bikes and found that 2nd is most often used. Rarely use the other 2 speeds.

Its just something I always wondered about.I have had a few 3 speed bikes and found that 2nd is most often used. Rarely use the other 2 speeds.

Well, We have hills here and I do use my gears, both low and high!

I'm pretty sure every Shimano 3 speed, all the modern SRAM/Sachs 3 speed, and most of the Sturmey 3 speeds except the fixed-gear 3 speed and a few others from decades ago, I'm pretty sure they're all a 1:1 in 2nd, with steps up and down for 3rd and 1st. Basically, most any you'd find on a trike would have the direct ratio in 2nd.

Easy to tell...just look at the sprocket. If it's turning the same speed as the hub shell/wheel, then you're in direct drive.

Back