4 bikes in 40 minutes. Got to love city wide rummage sales.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a good day on Friday!

I was driving to a smaller city not far from where I live. There was a sale that had"older bicycles", and when I got there I found a women's Monark ballooner. I didn't want a parts bike. Then she said, "it's only five dollars!" SOLD!

monarkladies.jpg

So I decided to drive by a few more sales. I found a lady on a dead end street without much rummage sale traffic. She had some bikes too. I asked where she had gotten them. Turns out her son-in-law manages a lot of apartment buildings. When tenants move out without emptying their storage units, he empties them. So she has a Specialized Rockhopper. Great condition. Shifts like a dream. New tires. How much? Five dollars. SOLD!

Specializedrockhopper.jpg

Next sale. Longer driveway. I see nothing but clothes (ugh), but get out to look anyway. Walk towards the garage and look to the right. There it is! 1975 re-painted (excellent, excellent job) Schwinn. Quick release front and back. In great shape. Newer tires. One tire is flat, but there is an inflated tube hanging from handlebars. I grab the price tag to take a peek. Do I even need to tell you?
Five dollars. SOLD!

1975schwinn.jpg

Time to head home. Wait, there's one more place with some bikes! So I stop. Peugot Mixte. Hmmmm. Tempting. I look to my left. There's a 1973 Schwinn Varsity. Campus green. Generator. Working front and back lights. Nice Schwinn imprinted leather saddle. No price tag! I ask the lady running it, how much is this one? And this is where my luck ran out. I couldn't get it for five.

Had to pay ten. Sold! I love the hunt.

73Varsity.jpg

A good day hunting,for sure!That black Schwinn looks like it could be a Super Sport,judging the handlebars and quick-release hubs.If the rims are alloy and not chrome,you're almost there.Check the top of the seat stays.If they are bullet shaped,you have a Super Sport.These are sweet cro-moly frames that were hand brazed in the same part of the factory as the legendary Paramount race bikes.Check out Sheldon Brown's site for more specific info.The fixie guys go ga-ga for them.They have a sweet ride quality and are built like tanks.Nice scores!!

Back