41 DX bomber commuter "Monty" - finished pics added

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking to put together a cool simple commuter bike - hopefully spend more time pushin bike pedals than a gas pedal : ) Most of parts I accumulated over time and figured it was time to put them to use.

I like lists so here's a part break down so far:
-41 DX frame - when it was first given to me it was powder coated a clear green with silver flake (sorry no pics), maybe on another frame it may have been cool, but I think it looked like doo on this frame. Got it PCed black on the cheap because a friend had some car parts getting done.
-Planes and trains oval head badge
-NOS early 80's maybe earlier? Schwinn bmx fork
-Schwinn head set
-Prewar dogleg crank and sprocket, unknown manufacturer
-Rear hub is a 1936 Morrow
-Front hub is a high flange Sunshine hub
-Rims alloy
-Crupi cruiser handle bars
-Brooks seat
-Wellgo pedals
-Ame grips

Last edited:
This is the stem I'm going to use. Though not necessarily from the true klunker era, but close enough until I find/afford something more "period" correct. I do have some schwinn stems, but dig the look of the early alloy and double clamp stems. It is a stamped 85 Odyssey. The blue paint will be stripped off and polished a bit.

Thanks guys for the comments. From where I live to work is pretty close, so I am in luck there, but I anticipate ridin for quick runs to the cornerstore, etc.
@Araya51 I like the look of the bmx pads on your bmx/klunk

Last edited:
Thank's Socal Last.!!! I dig the big Metalflake look on them pads and with the old Schwinn script on it..
That's a Kool looking stem. Have you tried looking through the BMX MUSEUM Classifieds.? They have perfect double clamp stem for your Klunker .. Just an idea and it's not that expensive either.. have you laced the wheels yet.?

Checked out the for sale at BMX museum. Some cool stuff for sure.

I haven't got tire tires laced yet, I need to get spoke sizes and order them and nips. Probably goin with ano red nips to go with red grips and red ano beartraps.

Some more bits for the build. A Brooks seat that I was able to get on the cheap, still has some life to it, need to proofide it first. The bars I am going to use are Crupi cruiser bars, a couple inches less wide, but more rise, than a pair of old renthal bars I have. The pedals are the wellgo xc knockoffs. Still need to order spokes and seat post.

Been quite busy as of late, but had an opportunity to work on the build and my spokes arrived a couple of days ago, so I can move forward. Polished the rims this morning and hope to build them up tonight. Here is a pic to see the difference in a quick hit with the polish wheel.
-Side note was going to go with 7xs but thought the box style would look better.

Had the bike completed for awhile and figured it was time to post some pics:

Really like the way it cruises - nice and tight. Guys at work were diggin it. Currently non op, the 60 plus year old chain couldn't handle my excitement (read as large frame) and I snapped one of the outer links. Lol

Back