`48 dx project

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My friend gave the go ahead to mess with his `48 I was keeping here's how it started several days ago.

48klunker.jpg

here's how it stands after stripping down the top coats;

dx_stripped.JPG

It may have had a white decorative trim around the head tube where it is red, the rest of theframe appears to be brown or brick red. Does anyone know the color scheme the original had? There was a primer coat and then the red on top, red came off easy but the primer didn't want to let go of the white paint. I may just clear coat what is there after some additional rubbing, kind of a nice patina.

All bearings and cups I've looked at so far are trashed, expect the New Departure hub as well.

Are you sure it's primer? These had a very brick-y red paint and if it's old it looks like primer.

The paint scheme was red or black with a white design starting at the front.

I think Rickster has one with original paint.

The brown or reddish brown is definitely original paint, the primer I was referring to was gray. That was on top of everyting. It looks like the bike was sanded somewhat first, at least before the primer coat. The red at the front of the bike also appears to be original and has the original DX design, but it looks like the white was painted over the red portion. There was definitely some white under the gray primer in areas in front by the head tube

Maybe Kev knows a gentle way to take off the newer primer/paint so you can see what the design is, then go from there.

Laquer thinner would probably take everything off.

The original scheme on these bikes was VERY cool. I'm sure it could be ressurected.

I think it looked like this..
This is a Local Bike I have a Chance to buy for about $350.00

I'm not the best with Schwinn's, but I think this is The Exact Bike,

schwinn3-1.jpg

schwinn2-1.jpg

schwinn-2.jpg

Those are the Best Pic's I have of it...
I can try and get better pic's

peace,
Kev.

Rick,

I think that womnes bike may have been very close to the original color scheme, do you know tehe year on that one ?

Thanks, Steve

The year on my hornet, She was made in March of 1952!!

Back