50's Murray Strato lite....whats it worth?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked this up today off craigslist and i dont know much about it. I know it seems to me a late 50s murray strato lite and its in ok shape for its age and its fully functional and ready to ride with new tires. Im cleaning it up with the intentions to re sell it. so I got some questions!!
- Whats it worth in the condtion its in (im tearing it appart, cleaning, regreasing, and reassembly)
- would it be worth more or less if i striped it and repainted it?
- Wanna buy it?

76913_544808485544162_2027484211_n_zps14d701ae.jpg

First off, you need to have an introduction before you go about everything, needa know who you are and what not. This isnt the section for appraisals either there is a section labeled that in the forum, id/what its worth. It will probably be worth about the same maybe a little more if you repainted it, its only original once. Not to be a pita, just wanting to give you a heads up of what people will say to ya.

My bad on the appraisal thing, but i picked it up today thats why i im in the Fresh finds section, plus its my first forum on here. Didnt know you were all so anal or i would have probably looked for a forum titled "Fresh find, appraisals, verifications and other misc questions" Section! Haha no harm. But Im 23, I jump out of helicopters for a living and shoot big ... guns out of them as well keepin america safe! Im big into moutain biking and i have always been into restoration. I used to fix up banana seat bikes when i was like 12 and sell them to my buddies. So I got this bike today for 20 bucks off craigslist, just wanted to show people what i found. I might keep it and rat rod it out with some red and black pant, who knows!

Thanks guys, I actually decided to start a side business flipping bikes i find on craigslist in san diego. I had a guy send me a picture of this beast this morning, and told me he wanted 60 for it cause he needed rent money. Well he sent really bad pictures and he was way across town. told him id take it off his hands for 20 bucks and he bit lol. I wanted to fix it a bit and see if i could make a few bucks to get my side business going but the more i look at it, the more i fall in love with it

WHAT!!! $20!!! :shock: You got the deal of 2013 my friend. I'd leave it a rat, but if you paint it, don't paint it too nice... maybe kind of hot rod/resto rod (like I did to my '60 Flightliner). I agree with the first comment, you might get a little more, but not a lot. Cool looking bike though, late 50's .Maybe..early '60's??? :?

Cool find. That tanklight is hard to find...sell it me.
I pm'd you.
The bike is worth more then what you paid for it.
Especially if the tank and lights are in good shape.
I love the dual external headlights on these Murray StratoFlites.
There is a Western Flyer (Sonic Flyer??) That has the same tank. It too is a Murray built bike.

pm sent to ya.
JD

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

So if you guys were looking to sell this bike, how much would you sell it for? I'm undecided, but If I sell I want to know what I should sell it for.

andytaddy said:
So if you guys were looking to sell this bike, how much would you sell it for? I'm undecided, but If I sell I want to know what I should sell it for.

I would clean it up a bit (new tires, regrease, polish, take fender off) and sell it for $100 on CL :wink:

andytaddy said:

Depends on where you live. Here in CA, I'd list it at $150-200, once cleaned up.

Im gonna try to get 150 for it, if not, im rat'n it out with some fat ... white walls, red rims, flat dark smoke color frame with gloss red tank im thinkin

I think that's a pretty fair price... you are definately in the ball park. 8)

Ya if I can't get 150 for it, I'm keeping it. Do you guys know if thick brick tires will fit on regular rims? And do they fit on the stock front forks? And do fat rims bolt up to the regular chain stays and forks?

andytaddy said:
Im gonna try to get 150 for it, if not, im rat'n it out with some fat butt white walls, red rims, flat dark smoke color frame with gloss red tank im thinkin
If you do all that, you're going to be in it for a lot more money. It will be harder, much harder, to get a profit from it at $150. If you're going to sell it, I'd leave it as-is. Otherwise, rat away. 8)

My bad on the appraisal thing, but i picked it up today thats why i im in the Fresh finds section, plus its my first forum on here. Didnt know you were all so anal or i would have probably looked for a forum titled "Fresh find, appraisals, verifications and other misc questions" Section!

We just try to play by the rules set forth by the Site Owner.

shawn57187 said:
andytaddy said:
Im gonna try to get 150 for it, if not, im rat'n it out with some fat butt white walls, red rims, flat dark smoke color frame with gloss red tank im thinkin
If you do all that, you're going to be in it for a lot more money. It will be harder, much harder, to get a profit from it at $150. If you're going to sell it, I'd leave it as-is. Otherwise, rat away. 8)

I'm keeping the bike now, guy didn't wanna buy it. after that I decided the strato was staying, I took the tank apart last night, took the bearing cups out of the frame, and grabbed a few other parts like the chain guard and stem, threw them in the trunk, and hopefully ill be brining it all in for powder coating today. Matte graphite frame, gloss red tank and chain guard, red stem, white bars I'm thinkin

deven_science said:
Your brand name Thick Bricks often fit in the frames/forks, but they use 24" rims, not 26". The fat tires with the smaller rims gives them an overall size close to the original 26s.

That makes sense! Where's the best place to get the best prices on thick bricks and wide rim 24 inch wheels?

Latest posts

Back