50's Schwinn find

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While driving some back-roads to get to Atlanta the other week, lo and behold a bike that fits me ( 6'3" ) for cruising and in good shape. It wasn't cheap, but it wasn't expensive and I think it'll last a while to justify the price the antique shop asked for. Oh well, it's now mine and that's what led me to this site.

55-schwinn-15289.jpg

It has a light, which was just off for the trip back. We went camping in-between picking it up and getting it back. The restoration on it isn't perfect, which is making me want to either do it all over or just keep tinkering it with it as is.

That's cool! Looks like it acquired a non Schwinn chainguard, rear rack, and rims, but it looks neat, and kinda custom that way! The rest appears to be a 1958-60 Tornado or Flying Star. The 2nd digit of the serial # will be the year, 8 being 58, etc. And welcome to the forum! -Adam

Nice bike, you'll find here most guys are not sticklers for originality. If it looks good it's cool. Welcome to the forum! There's a great bunch of people here so if you need anything feel free to PM anybody for advice, parts, or just a good laugh.

Yeah this'll be a fun thing to tinker with. I have some ideas but first I just want to ride it. The coaster brake is clanking today after I took it off the frame. Not sure why.

As it sits now ....
Photo%20Oct%2011%2C%208%2014%2016%20PM.jpg

I want comfort, but the extreme bikes on here almost look too good to be true. I'll find another beer holder that suits me. That shelf wasn't letting the curves show.

Rustinkerer said:
That's cool! Looks like it acquired a non Schwinn chainguard, rear rack, and rims, but it looks neat, and kinda custom that way! The rest appears to be a 1958-60 Tornado or Flying Star. The 2nd digit of the serial # will be the year, 8 being 58, etc. And welcome to the forum! -Adam
Great find! I like it just as is but it does look good after you messed around with it. As Adam said, I don't think the rack and chainguard are original Schwinn either :wink:

Back