57mm 3G Jemima rims on a vintage Schwinn?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any insights on this? I thinking of putting some on a B6 or post-war DX frame. Narrow tires, so no fatties to worry about, but maybe a 57mm rim with a 2.35" tires on it. Anyone try it? I did with a 24", and it works fine (as it should), but not so confident with the 26"...

Here are some Typhoon Cords on 26" 3Gs on the 53 Schwinn that I bought from Wildcat

350ql1l.jpg

index.php

And that bike would fly with those wheels, faster than standard wheels. Plenty of room for them too, the tires are 2.125 but 2.35 would have worked too.

Last edited:
Extremely light cruiser wheels too.

I'm putting a 26x3 rear wheel with a stretched 26x2.125 tire on a 62 typhoon as we speak. Rear had to be widened 1.25" top and bottom to allow fitment and have about a 1/4" on each side for clearance... I also stretched it a bit but not the first one to get that treatment.

FWIW, I mounted a felt 26 x 2.125" tire on a 3G 57mm wide rim and measured an overall width of 2.5". This shows the wheel in a balloon tire Schwinn fork. So keep that in mind, a 2.3" tire might fill out more depending on shape/size. I have seen some balloon tire bikes that somewhat less than 3" of clearance (like my old Colson).

WP_001395_zpse007b631.jpg

I'm putting a 26x3 rear wheel with a stretched 26x2.125 tire on a 62 typhoon as we speak. Rear had to be widened 1.25" top and bottom to allow fitment and have about a 1/4" on each side for clearance... I also stretched it a bit but not the first one to get that treatment.
Photos......... like too see how that looks, fenders?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

FWIW, I mounted a felt 26 x 2.125" tire on a 3G 57mm wide rim and measured an overall width of 2.5". This shows the wheel in a balloon tire Schwinn fork. So keep that in mind, a 2.3" tire might fill out more depending on shape/size. I have seen some balloon tire bikes that somewhat less than 3" of clearance (like my old Colson).

Very nice fit. Like too see how the Rear looks, as well as the Bike with that Rolling stock.

4bed91ce7def11e38593126f11d3a873_8.jpg
Not using fenders on this one. I need to upload some pics i guess. It's in pieces now waiting for the parts to come back from powder coating but i have mock up pics.

That's a good look. Those rims are painted, right? How closely do they match, say, an anodized red?

Very nice fit. Like too see how the Rear looks, as well as the Bike with that Rolling stock.

Well, the rear isn't apples/apples. I used a 24x3 Berm Master on the rear, and the frame is a Columbia rather than Schwinn, so it won't really tell you what you need to know. I can tell you, FWIW, that a 3" wide tire on the 57mm rim does fill out to a full 3". It isn't wider than advertised (like the 2.125 came out), likely because its meant to be on a rim that size. The link in my signature will show you pics of the final product.

That's a good look. Those rims are painted, right? How closely do they match, say, an anodized red?

They're site says they're painted, but they look a lot like an ano finish IMHO. If they're painted, its done with a translucent tint over a silver base coat. I'd assumed that they were anodized when I got them until I read that they weren't...

Last edited:
Back